voltmeter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

voltmeter

Can anyone help me figure out how to hook up my "Batt" gauge in my '69 Camaro? I've never done it before and I'm having trouble.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Nikkicamaro,

I need some more info before I can respond.

Scholman
Old 12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicamaro
Can anyone help me figure out how to hook up my "Batt" gauge in my '69 Camaro? I've never done it before and I'm having trouble.

Doc here,

Is it a Volt meter or an AMP gauge?

If voltmeter, just hook it to a switched source of power via fuse link, and ground..

If it is an amp meter...that's a whole nother' story!

Doc
Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

If it is in the console it is an amp meter.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Hey everybody - What I have/had is a plane ol' stock '69 Camaro, 350 engine, Auto Trans with no gauges and the gear selector was on the steering column. I put in a tilt steering column, moved the gear selector to the floor and I'm trying to put in the center console with the cluster of gauges in it. I got the temp gauge to work, the gas gauge to work and the oil pressure was no problem because it's mechanical, but I'm having trouble with the "Batt" gauge, which I'm assuming is the voltmeter, which I could be wrong, but I'm hooking it up to the same 12v power source the that other gauges are hooked into and then the other side to ground. It pops the fuse every time I hook up the battery. Is it possible I have the two leads back-wards? Or am I just hooking it up to get the 12 volts in the wrong place? This may sound like a stupid question but I've never done anything like this before and I'm really over my head. I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I have. So anyways, have I given everyone enough info to answer the question? Thanks in advance.
Randy aka nikkicamaro
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

If it is a true Battery (voltage ) Gauge..It will read 0, 12, 15, volts..

If it is an amp gauge it will read 0 in the center, 10,20 30,up to 60 in each direction.

If you hook a volt meter up backwards, It will peg the meter in the wrong direction, and could pop a fuse if small enough. Polarity , if you get confused, is + towards the highest reading on the meter, minus on the zero side.

If it is a volt meter It is hooked in Parallel, (across the load, or DC power)any good fused linked, source of power and ground will make it functional..use a switched source (ignition to prevent draw in parked modes, and very little draw is reported in off anyway) If the gauge slams and blows fuses when hooked up this way, replace the gauge, It is defective.

If it is an AMP gauge, it must be hooked up in series (unless inductive pickup)with line/load..(battery/vehicle system.) there are about 3 different preferred spots to install it , refer to your instruction paper (If aftermarket) for the best wiring for your application.

You can not substitute one for the other and use the original wire configuration.

Doc
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Hey Doc,

Even though the gauge physically says "BATT", I guess it is an "AMP" gauge according to your description because there is a zero in the middle and a -40 on the left and a +40 on the right. The factory schematic says to hook one end to a "junction" that hooks up with the battery positive lead and the other end to the horn relay, key buzzer? Does this make sense to you?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

these guys are explaining it pretty well....heres my 2 cents.....the amp meter gauge has the current flowing through it ....so the amp gauge is in line with the circuit in between the alternator and the battery, it does not go to ground....does your cars battery charge now? i doubt you have a voltmeter

The amp meter will measure the flow of electricity in between the battery and the alternator....those things you mentioned draw current and if the car is not running will show a negative reading indicating juice is flowing from the battery to the "appliance( horn ,lights,radio)". if the car is running the alternator will power those so there will be no discharge from the battery...what you have found in the schematic sounds reasonable to me

Last edited by 37ford4dr; 12-28-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

That "Junction" is probably the Fusible link located at or very near the starter..It delivers power to the vehicle. This will be the "Line" or Batt, side..

The Horn relay will be the the "Load" side, or everything in the system that draws current.

Hook it up as per the manual.

Doc
Old 01-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

"AMP" Meter, Not a Voltmeter

Okay People,
I'm still having trouble hooking up my "AMP" meter. I thought I had it hooked up properly at one point. When I hooked up the battery the gauge went negative, (because the dome light was on), and when I turned on the headlights, it went even more negative and when I started the car up it started going positive, BUT.... when I went to turn the key off, the car kept running!! What am I doing wrong now?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Sounds to me like you have the Gauge wired between The source feeding power to the switch, and power FROM the switch (Run position)feeding the system side of the switch.

This effectively bypasses the ignition. (your reading between switched and unswitched) You need to move Both sides of the Gauge wiring on the same side of the circuit..IE..Both connections either BEFORE the switch, Or Both Connections AFTER the switch But NOT ACROSS the switch.

Refer to your installation diagram for best locations in the circuit for Installing the gauge. It should give you 3 or 4 options. (on an aftermarket kit)

That should set it right.

Doc
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Ammeter in a 1969 Camaro

Okay people, I'm still having problems wiring my car. I'm trying to re-wire my 1969 Camaro with an aftermarket kit. I'm using the Ron Francis Bare Bonz II kit and so far it's been going pretty good until I came to the gauges. Ron Francis says, "follow the manufacturers instructions" but I'm using stock gauges and there are no instructions. I've figured out most of the gauges except the Ammeter. Now I have contacted the manufacturer about hooking it up but the instructions they gave me burnt up my gauge. I did call them again to make sure I got the instructions right and I did, so obviously they don't know how to hook one up, so my question to you people is, has anyone else re-wired a 1969 Camaro using the Ron Francis wiring kit and do you have the 4 gauge pod in the center console and were you successful wiring the ammeter?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Well, Number one, RON FRANCIS is on this board, in this forum, under "wiring Diagrams" I suggest If you have TECH Questions about the Harness, go to the post on the top of this forum named "Wiring Harness" and post him with your question...Take it Straight to the owner of the company!

Next you really need to determine if that gauge WAS an AMP or Voltmeter..installing one in the other wire configuration WILL burn it up, as I pointed out to you earlier...you just CAN"T say ...Well..I guess it might be......maybe..

BETTER YET... now that you HAVE BURNED it up, chuck it as we've all been telling you to do, and get a safe VOLTMETER, power and ground is all that is required , just CAP off any harness wires from the New harness.

To keep guessing will just wipe out your alternator, Regulator, wire harness, fuse links...and may cause a fire..

If you hooked it up the way the harness instructions said to do it, and it burned up, the instructions are faulty, or you didn't interpret then correctly, If you wired it as to the instructions provided by the gauge manufacture, and it burned up, you either have a bad gauge, wrong type gauge for the application (amp where volt should be) or you read the instructions incorrectly..

EXACTLY HOW did you wire it?

Doc
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Well what they, (Ron Francis), told me to do was to cut the wire from the starter solenoid to the fuse panel, and connect the amp meter in between here. Then take the wire from the alternator, the one that connected to the starter solenoid, and connect it to the negative side of the amp meter. This configuration burnt the gauge up. I personally would love to install a voltmeter in place of this amp meter because I now know that they are easier to hook up, but no one is making a replacement. I don't know if you're familiar with the stock gauge pod, located in the center console of a '69 Camaro, but it's not round and it's not exactly rectangular. So if you do know of someone making a replacement, please let me know.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Shoot these guys an email...

http://dandmrestoration.home.mindspring.com/gauges.htm

They should have what you need in NOS, or resto parts. Camero is one of their biggest movers.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.