Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortec 350 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What I'm thinking of is finding a low mileage 350 from the late 90's, meaning one that doesn't need a cylinder bore or crank grind, maybe just a hone and polish and new rings and bearings, or maybe use it as is and reuse the pistons, rods, and lifters. If the heads are in good shape, maybe just a simple hand lap job, and whatever small items heads typically need. For the cost of a complete head rebuild, I can almost buy a new set of vortec heads, which would allow me to expand my looking to a 350 from the early 90's and just add the vortecs.

I wonder if the 350's from the early 90's were basically the same shortblock, same compression ratio, roller lifters etc, so if I bought new vortec heads, I could just as easily put them on an early 90's block. Then I would buy a new intake manifold and put on my Edlebrock 1406 600 cfm carb. Also buy a new cam unless the stock cam already had good specs.

What do you all know about the motor mounts? Are the early 90's or late 90's different them my 67 or will my existing mounts bolt right on?

Seems like the total cost of putting together a 90's vortec, carbed engine should be fairly reasonable.