Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortec 350 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pistons

Yesterday I got a deal on an 89 350TBI and a couple of 700r4's that I couldn't pass up. My tentative plan is to buy a set of Vortec heads and intake and use my 600cfm carb.

I'm thinking of reproducing the specs as found in a GM 350HO crate motor, with maybe a little better intake manifold and cam.

In my research, I'm having trouble finding pistons for this combination or for that matter any 64cc head, resulting in somewhere close to a 0.040 quench. I played with the deck height, piston compression distance and gasket thickness, but they didn't seem to matter as long as the quench height calculated right.

So I've narrowed it down to needing a set of dished pistons with a 12-16cc dome which would result in a compression ratio between 9 and 9.5. I really like the summitracing site, as I can shop for pistons by playing with the different specs, but all I come up with that matches are the Keith Black ones which seem very high priced for my budget.

Can any of you reccomend any other online sites where they have a large selection of pistons including enough details to calculate what I want. It seems like many of the sites list CR estimates that seem like they would only be correct if the piston was further away from the head as a result of a thicker gasket or compression height locating them further down in the cylinder, which from what I understand would result in a larger then desirable quench height.

Could it be that many people, even rebuilders are building engines that ignore the most efficient quench heights?

Where are the pistons to be found, that we really need?

Am I correct in targeting a CR of 9-9.5 using the Vortec heads and able to run on 87 octane gas?

Am I also correct in assuming the Vortec heads all have 64cc compression chambers?