Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortec 350 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
What are your horsepower goals, street manner goals (low end, high end power, torque, loping idle)? That will narrow down your cam selection, and that will determine your compression ratio. Then tear down and inspect your engine, then machine work, then parts selection to get your compression ratio and squish.
Very good question.
Originally before I did any research I threw out a ballpark goal of 300hp, 400torque, slight lopey idle, 15mpg in 3500lb Camaro.
700r4 tranny, with appropriate rear end ratio.
Daily driver, Street use only, Good low end torque, Strong launch from a standing start, Spin tires when desired, good street manners for normal driving. No desire to wind it up to high rpm.

Initial feedback suggested a fuel injected engine, but since then I'm leaning back to using a carb. At this point I'm thinking of an L31 or 350HO as a base, but with slight improvements, which would put me in the mid 300's for power and 380-420torque.

On the subject of piston top design for good quench. Realizing that I will probably need some kind of dish, it seems the best design is the D shape where the flat top matches up with the flat portion of the head for maximum quench area. Here's the two styles suggested above available from Summit for a good price. Neither one is a tru D shaped dish.

SLP-H423ACP60

SLP-WH423NP

Last edited by rollie715; 04-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.