Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie715
Not stuck, just trying to learn this new myself. I just keep modifying what I think I know as I learn more.

Thank you
The Vortec head has an excellent combustion chamber shape, you do not want to alter that, but there are ways to add volume to it w/o disrupting the chamber's function.

So if you want to use a FT, research reworking the combustion chambers to gain volume and see if it's something you think you can handle. You'll need grinding tools, and eye protection, and a good amount of spare time. It can be done w/nothing more specialized than a Dremel, sanding rolls and bits, a pair of goggles and a way to measure the chamber volume accurately as you work. You'll never want to do it twice, it's a dirty time consuming job. But it is an option, although getting 12cc more volume w/o running into problems might be impractical if not impossible.

BTW, the second piston above isn't a SBC piston. Post #17 describers the SP 423 pistons- round, 4 valve relief.

I believe you ought to build this engine right. That may well mean spending more than a ten spot on a piston. If you want cheap, then so be it.