Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortec 350 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I hope you don't mind if I just keep adding more to this thread. As the name implies, I hope to document my research and build of my Vortec 350.

Just in case you you haven't been following all of my thread, I have a 350TBI out of an 89 1500 pickup, that I plan to rebuild and turn into a carburated Vortec engine. Today I started stripping it down. I believe this motor was originally a flat tappet design, but was built on a block that could easily be converted to roller tappets. Here's a couple pics of the area where a spider and lifter guides(I'm not exactly sure what they are called) would be. It looks to me like the guide area is already machined, but the spider mounting risers need to be drilled and tapped, a job which I should be able to do easily. Can someone familiar with the machined guide area, confirm that my block is machined ready for the roller lifter guides?

Here's a closeup of the machined guide area.

The next question, is where would be an easy and cheap place to buy a spider and guides?

I'm also guessing that judging by how deep the existing lifters sit down inside their holes, that a new set of roller lifters will stick up higher into the guides and require a different set of shorter push rods.

Last edited by rollie715; 04-21-2012 at 09:22 PM.