vortec 350 efi options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

vortec 350 efi options

Hello..
I will soon be installing a g.m. crate 350 vortec (96-02 #12530283) with the ramjet crate cam and edel rpm intake/headers etc
into my truck.. it will be carbed at first..
down the line I'd like to add efi
now g.m. intakes efi set up's have that spider set up.. on the 96-02
but 95 back are tbi..do these intakes bolt to 96 up engines?
this is a 330-350hp build nothing crazy..
looking at efi cheap.. and the stock vortec efi with a msII or III. looks like it do.. but the factory efi is listed as senquental..
other than the intake and wires,distributor/ what sensors off a donor engine will I need,, and what junk to leave behind..
thanks..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
Hello..
I will soon be installing a g.m. crate 350 vortec (96-02 #12530283) with the ramjet crate cam and edel rpm intake/headers etc
into my truck.. it will be carbed at first..
down the line I'd like to add efi
now g.m. intakes efi set up's have that spider set up.. on the 96-02
but 95 back are tbi..do these intakes bolt to 96 up engines?
this is a 330-350hp build nothing crazy..
looking at efi cheap.. and the stock vortec efi with a msII or III. looks like it do.. but the factory efi is listed as senquental..
other than the intake and wires,distributor/ what sensors off a donor engine will I need,, and what junk to leave behind..
thanks..
1996 Vans will have TBI vortec intake manifolds stock that are vortec head compatible. Some marine applications will have a true MFI system based on the vortec spider intake. After that it's just aftermarket stuff.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

The 1996-02 L31 is CSFI(centra sequential fuel injection) all OEM modern fuel injection will be sequential, but taht is determined more by the ECM or teh brain you decide to use, power differnce is small, the major differnce will be in emissions, which is why the OE's use seqauntial systems.

This intake from GMPP allows the use of TBI injection on Vortec 350 L31 heads
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...l-12496821.jpg

From this thread
350 vortec to tbi conversion

Sensors from a donor engine would include:TPS(Throttle Position Sensor), IAT(Intake Air Temp.), ECT(Engine Coolant Temp), IAC(Idle Air Control), MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure), MAF(Mass Air Flow), CKP(Crankshaft Position)-4x for the L31/L30, CMP(Camshaft Position) located in the flat crab style capped distributer of the L30/31 305/350, VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) for trans operation. Knock sensors are involved as well

This all depends on what ECM you use, OE or aftermarket.
You can, get a 1996/97 or 1998-2000 blackbox PCM with the 4, 30-34 pin connectors labelled with 4 colours, Red, WHite, Black, Blue. And run a calibration from a 1996-97 or 1998-2000 Vortec 350 truck. These PCMs will control the trans as well. Ignition is supported via the flat crab style Vortec distributer. The 1996 and 1997 PCM does NOT support VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System) and the 98-00 PCM does. This is easily switched off via the PCM calibration.

or

Get a newer PCM used in the 2001-2002 Express vans with the L31 350. These PCM's have the last 4 digits of 0411, are silver in colour and have dual 80 pin connectors. These PCM's were found in many Camaro's and Vettes as well, but when flashed with a 2001-2002 vans Vortec 350 calibration can use the stopck flat crab style Vortec distributer.
Tuning suites such as EFILive and HPTuners as well as Tunercats OBD2 and Jet DST and others support this PCM.

or

Go with an aftermarket controller

or

Go with an older GM ECM that uses chips EEPROM or MEMCAL and run a TBI setup.

I am partial to the GM controllers as I have Tunercats OBD2 and calibrate my own PCM/ECM's. HArnesses and PCM's are cheap and easily to work with.

You could get a PCM and harness, then get a tuner to calibrate your PCM to whatever you wish to do. SInce you are using a stock longblcok with a very mild GM cam 196/206 cam it woudl be an easy calibration. PCM4Less charges $175 to do the calibration.
PCMforless programmer@pcmforless.com Bryan Herter is the man you need for this.
\

WHat vehicle is this going into?

peace
Hog
Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

thanks, it's going into a 71 c-10..
carbed for now.. will play with 3 different carbs,
chevy qjet off a 75truck
a pontiac qjet off a 73 455(t/a ) bigger than the truck one
and a 3310-3 with 2nd metering block 750 vac 2nd holley

really wish I never sold my projection 4, as that be the ticket with a msII ecu..
but it's gone..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

OK, thats great, going into a nice light truck will work very well. SHould be a peppey/fun truck to drive for sure.
Depending on car you'll need a Vortec carb intake. An Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM or Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM Airgap will give you all the torque of a Vortec Performer, but add more power without any losses.

Projection would have been perfect as you could have installed it upon teh existing Vortec carb intake.

peace
Hog
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

yup bought the rpm 2116 dual bolt pattern, so I can bolt the 3310 and the q-jets on..

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.