Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortec 6.0/LQ9 Build Idea
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383Eliminator View Post
Hello everyone. I would like to pick everyones brain. Last year I got my blown 383 put together and running in my boat with a ton of help from this forum. I broke the snout off my crankshaft at the end of last season. I currently have a Chevy small block 383 with a stock block, AFR heads, and a 6-71 blower. Now I need a new crankshaft, and was working with Bob Madera of Marine Kinetics for a custom ground cam shaft. He is telling me that with the amount of boost that i want to make that the main caps are not going to last. Well this made me think about what other options are out there. I have read the the Vortec 6.0 truck engines have really stout bottom ends and the heads from what I can tell flow pretty good as well. I want to do a stock Vortec 6.0 long block with a refresh and forged pistons. Then install the 6-71 blower, custom cam, and run dual 750 carbs and E-85. Will the LQ9/LQ4 bottom end hold up to 700-800 HP?
It is a dice roll at best. If you are going to spend the time to do pistons just do the rods. The crank will hold no problem. Many people have made north of 1000 with the factory crank.