VORTEC Diagnostics - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry 1997 k1500 5.7 4l80e

i took my engine out and added a 4l80e instead of a 4l60e and also added a np203 and np205, i rebuilt the engine 5.7 vortec, and i am getting the same code the p1300 i dont know what i have hooked up wrong but it does smell rich. i had the crank/cam sensor error it was because i had the dist in 180 deg backwards. if you find out what the fix for the p1300 is please let me know.

Ray Arizona

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 12:57 PM

Adam, I happen to be a Chevy dealer tech that specializes in driveability issues. I know of NO P1300 DTC for any engine. It's not even in Alldata. What scanner are you using?

From what I read of all you've done I suspect you're getting a P1345 code. The DTC's for IC control are P1351 (IC hi voltage) and P1361 (IC low voltage).

With the CMP offset degrees you've provided (BTW you CANNOT time this engine with a light!) it sounds like you need to set the CMP offset which is a simple process.

Check the CMP offset on your scan tool. Take note of the degrees it reads. Loosen the HVS aka distributor hold down bolt, turn the HVS a little in one direction with the engine running. Then rev the engine about 1500 RPM and recheck the CMP offset to see if it changed and changed in the desired direction. Continue this process untill you reached 0*. Mind you, this is NOT, I repeat, NOT a timing adjustment so going beyond 0* will not improve anything. 0* IS what you want! After you've acheived 0* tighten down the hold down bolt and clear the code if you can.

BTW, I doubt that is the reason for a rich running Vortec but give it a shot and let us know the result. If you still have problems I'll be checking back to see how you're doing.

BTW, did you replace the fuel pump with a high pressure pump? If so, what's you pressure readings?

Good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

p1300 vortec code

well its the only code i get and it doesnt set off the MIL light. i have a autoxray scan tool, i dont think it has the option for the CMP, mine says knock retard 0 and ignition timing advance 19.50, along with spark advance 16.00, misfires 0, cam retard 0.00, there is a knock count of 58.00, this is all at 706 rpm idle. there are some weird readings of intake air temp of -14 deg F and start up coolant temp of -1 deg f and also startup coolant temp of -11, this is arizona hasent been under 80 degrees in weeks.

ray
Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 PM

Greyhorn? I thought Adam started this thread.

As far as you scanner and the information it's giving you I can not speak. The only scanner I trust is a Tech 2, but since you don't have access to one.... we're speaking two different languages. Though I suspect Cam retard is probably the CMP ofset I refered to. That is the most critical data to be concerned about. You might try to to the proceedure I mentioned to see which one changes. I suggest you mark the HVS so you can move it back if nothing changes. Don't worry about the knock sensor data or advance data. Odd they give you "ignition timing advance" and "spark advance". Isn't one the same as the other? Either way, it's easy enough to figure out which is the one we need at 0* by moving the HVS, reving the engine and see what changes.

I do find your IAT and ECT sensor reads strange and could certainly result in the "rich" condition you describe. Both the IAT and ECT sensors are 2 wire. 5 volt referance sensors. Try disconnecting the with the KOEO (key on, engine off) and read the voltage at each sensor with a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter). Both should read 5.0 volts + or - a coulpe of tenths.

If you have the 5 volt referance at each sensor look at you scanner. With the sensors disconnected you should read a -30 + degrees. If your scanner reads as I said try jumpering the two wires together at each respective sensor and check the scanner. It should now read a VERY high temp. value.

From what you've stated so far I'm thinking you may have an open in one of the circuits. Do those tests and get back with the results.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

p1300 code help

ok i will give that a try i have attached to this post a jpg image if my autoxray capture data, maybe it will be better if you see it for yourself, please look for me. thanks for all your help i will test them sensors tomarrow.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	220  
Old 09-06-2003, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

as 45 ford said these engines run extremly high feul pressures, min 60 psi, where as the tbi runs 6-13 psi. below 60 psi they may not start or they start then stall
45 ford has given you some very good info , read all the info and follow every step care fully.
also did you install all the ground wires, a bad ground or a missing ground wire can make things work porrly
Old 09-06-2003, 07:45 PM

Re: p1300 code help

Quote:
Originally posted by greythorn3
ok i will give that a try i have attached to this post a jpg image if my autoxray capture data, maybe it will be better if you see it for yourself, please look for me. thanks for all your help i will test them sensors tomarrow.

Ray
I don't know what protocal Autoxray uses. It's Greek to me! But even I can read that you are running pig rich! I have one question untill you perform the suggested tests...it your MAF sensor connected electrically, if so, is the arrow pointed in the direction of airflow?
Old 09-06-2003, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

P1300 GONE! THANK YOU ALL!!!A+

well was checking my header bolts and looking at the sensors, and noticed a ground wire disconnected! reconected it and turned the MAF sensor with the big part towards the top like it was stock, instead of it being Big part towards the firewall. dont know what did it but now my reading on the sensors are not - and no more code p1300! but the weird part is with my scantool hooked up it says my cam retard is -11 degrees! but when i capture the data it records it as 0.00 so next step is to rotate that distributer while watching the scantool to get the cam retard at 0 degrees. well thats what im going to try. both my o2 sensors bank 1 and 2 1st sensor on each are reading .44v wouldnt that still indicate a rich condition, so maybe the getting the cam retard to 0.00 will improve this. 45' ford guy is super helpful! glad to know people like you guys.

thanks allot i really appreciate the help allot.

Ray T AZ

what are the voltage readings for the different lean rich optimum of the o2 sensor?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:36 AM

Glad to hear you're making progress.

You mentioned an 02 sensor reading of .44 volts. Is it steady at that value or does is cycle up to approx. .900 volts and down to approx. .20 volts on your scanner?

An 02 sensor should cycle constantly to adjust the fuel mixture. A low reading (below .500 volts is indicating a lean condition so your computer will add fuel. That should get the 02 sensor to read above .500 volts i.e. a rich condition. The computer will then subtract fuel forcing the 02 low again. This is a continuous cycle and one that happens rapidly.

If your sensor don't cycle you have another problem. Either the heater circuits for the sensor(s) isn't receiving power or doesn't have a ground. If both are present for the sensor(s), you have a dead 02 sensor. If both are dead (which is rare at the same time, but still possible) I'd suggest verifying the sensor(s) hi and lo circuits to the computer for continuity.

Keep us posted with your progress. Glad I can be of assistance.

Last edited by '45 Ford; 09-08-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:16 PM

Question A HVS Question

I am new here but not to wrenching. I would like to ask a great favor of GM ignition brains. My daughter owns a '95 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 Vortec CPI with the Horizontal Distributer Cap. It was running great but, it started to stall out around 2k rpm but idles great. The truck keeps throwing out a lean error. I tried to scan it with my OBDII but it will not talk, it says not responding. I guessed at the ignition module (Sorry wrong answer). I have reset my ecm, replaced my tps, swore at it and even insulted it's Mother. This is "The Truck From Hell" so far. Without calling Linda Blair, does anyone have any ideas short of C-4??

Please help me if you can, I am at my wits end and I have no wit.

I am guessing ECM next and I don't want to go there if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 PM

fuel pressure is the first thing that I would check when diagnosing a problem like that on any vortec. I don't remember exactly how much is the minimum but it is around 52 or 53 psi MINIMUM because of the style of injectors on the vortecs
Old 01-28-2004, 10:02 PM

I checked the fuel, it is at 54 lbs and drops about 7 psi during running. I also changed the fuel filter. I noticed a 4 degree jump of timing at idle but you do not hear it. When you rev it up I get a good advance until about 2k rpm and it drops back to about 2 degrees advanced, that is when it acts up. I have checked so much, I am needing another brain to beat on this mess.

Thanks again
Old 01-28-2004, 10:08 PM

what is the fuel presure when you are seeing problems???
Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 PM

My fuel preasure is running in the high 40's all the time when the truck is running.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:07 AM

Last photo:

the min fuel pressure is 60 psi

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.