vortec engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

vortec engine swap

i have a 98 chevy with a vortec 350 i just blew up so i took a 350 out of a 88 but had to use the cam out of the vortec and now i cant get it timed right

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick86
i have a 98 chevy with a vortec 350 i just blew up so i took a 350 out of a 88 but had to use the cam out of the vortec and now i cant get it timed right
Whoa, these are very different engines. The Vortec is all manged by the computer and has a completely different fuel injection system that shares nothing in common with the 88 TBI engine.

-The damper is completely different, the Vortec has provision to trigger a crankshaft position sensor in the timing cover the 88TBI does not.

- The engine timing covers are different the Vortec has a crankshaft position sensor, is made of plastic, uses a different selection of fasteners, etc.

- Moving up top, the heads are different and have a different intake bolt pattern than the 88, the earlier heads will not take the 98's intake.

- The cam is different the 98 uses a roller cam with quite a bit more timing than the 88's flat tappet.

- The distributor is different, the 98 takes all its instructions from the computer which is unique to it, the 88, while also computer operated, is using different sensors and different logic. The computer from one does not operate the other.

- Sensors and fuel injection is radically different, the computer from the 98 will not have anything the 88 can use if it still has TBI.

- The fuel system is way different, the 98 feeds about 60psi to the 88's 15 psi. The 98 doesn't use a regulator and bypass line but is switched on and off as needed to maintain pressure by the computer. The 88's pump is also under computer control but is on all the time and uses a regulated by-pass to maintain pressure.

- The 98's computer contols the transmission, taking a lot of data from the engine sensors. The 88 used a mechanically controlled earlier version of that transmission so the 88 engine does not have the necessary sensor data feeds.

So the question gets to how much modification, as you see above, has been done to support the 88 engine in the 98 chassis?

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.