Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - vortec head modification for .480 lift
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
Summit makes a number of headers, coatings , etc. Clearing up, that these are the basic $89 buck headers for a 85 gm truck.

The inside retainer dia must be the same from votx retainer to v6 retainer, or work with the v6 locks. There might be an extra retainer somewhere, if found the measurements will be posted. The seal part number is not on the reciept, but will post that when it comes to light.

For posterity my crap measurements are saved. My spring measurements could not be repeated every time. My tools are junk.

free length 1.94"
Installed at 1.8 they were about 95lb seat and open 275 at .500
Installed at 1.6 it was 125 and 305

To clear up , the safe running lift is not 1/2" , the seal is going to touch. Lifts of .450-.460" cleared on votex heads with seals.
So your installed height with the 8mm locks and retainers was 1.600" Or is that 11/32 locks and 8mm retainers? Comp makes the proper retainer to run those beehive springs on a 11/32 valve stem with 11/32 locks, its like $65 a set for the retainers though. the tool to cut the guides down for better seals and reduced height is only $50, I bought one and have used it several times. A tap set can be picked up at Harbor Freight for like $20 (cheap but it works). Then you only have to buy shoulderless screw in studs and a Z28 spring kit to run a mild flat tappet cam with no worries. I've done that routine on a BUNCH of heads (usually i use better springs though) and it works great for a mild street engine.