Vortec heads 2.02x1.60 valve upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vortec heads 2.02x1.60 valve upgrade

I planned to buy a set of new vortec heads from summit racing. I know where I can get a rebuilt set of vortec heads with 2.02x1.60 valves and only 50 miles on them. Seller said he spent $1200 to have the heads professionally done with upgraded valves, springs, cutting behind valves for better flow, etc., with no porting. Heads can evidently handle 500HP.

I have .465 lift cam and don't need heads that can handle 500HP; however, I can get these upgraded heads for the same price as new set from summit racing and they look perfect.

Would I see much of a performance increase with these upgraded heads over the stock 1.94x1.5 valve heads? SHould I have any concerns with putting the upgraded heads on my mild cam? If the price is the same ~$600 for either set of heads, it soumds like a no brainer and I should buy the upgraded heads since $1200 has already been invested in them and I could upgrade my cam down the road if needed. THoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You`ll see no gain from the bigger valves. When GM designed the Vortec heads the ports were designed for use with 1.94 1.50 valves. They flow so well big valves are not needed. From what I`ve seen, big valves are not recommended for Vortec heads.
If you want a set of Vortec heads for the dollar then get a set of RHS Vortec heads. These flow better than the stockers do, they are heavy casted also so they don`t crack very easy. They are also ready for any size cam you want without the worry of interferance, plus they come prepped for screw in studs. A friend of mine is running a set with a mild .215 duration roller cam on a 350. It has brute low end torque and pulls hard all the way to the redline.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Agree with Doublevision. I would step away from the altered heads. Buy these heads. I have used them on several DynoSim pulls and they are the SCHNITZ. On a 355, 9.6:1 motor with a Mutha-Thumper cam, RPM intake, 750 carb and 1 5/8" long tube headers, the motor made 440 hp and 430 ft/lbs of torque. Makes power all the way to 6500.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12410-01/
Old 09-10-2010, 05:16 AM

Last photo:

If done right the modified set can out perform the rhs heads by 25+ hp, but the rhs heads are a thicker casting and are more durable.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanks56Chevy
I planned to buy a set of new vortec heads from summit racing. I know where I can get a rebuilt set of vortec heads with 2.02x1.60 valves and only 50 miles on them. Seller said he spent $1200 to have the heads professionally done with upgraded valves, springs, cutting behind valves for better flow, etc., with no porting. Heads can evidently handle 500HP.

I have .465 lift cam and don't need heads that can handle 500HP; however, I can get these upgraded heads for the same price as new set from summit racing and they look perfect.

Would I see much of a performance increase with these upgraded heads over the stock 1.94x1.5 valve heads? SHould I have any concerns with putting the upgraded heads on my mild cam? If the price is the same ~$600 for either set of heads, it soumds like a no brainer and I should buy the upgraded heads since $1200 has already been invested in them and I could upgrade my cam down the road if needed. THoughts?
Anybody that plows 1200 bucks into Vortec heads is living in a fantasy world. While they make a very good street head out of the box, 1200 bucks will buy you a lot more bang for the buck from durability/reliability along with lots more power from many other starting places.

Big valves do not ipso-facto make power, they allow, or at least establish the possibility of allowing, more peak flow. If you're not using that peak flow from a throttle position stand point, or if the ports themselves can't deliver enough flow to the valve, or if there is insufficient cam timing, then larger valves will have no positive effect. On the other hand at part throttle, or large ported, or small cammed engines turning at low revs, they can cause a significant reduction in power as they allow the mixture to loose velocity which then doesn't fill the cylinder well for a host of complicated reasons most having to do with the effect of mixture velocity.

Bogie
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Before I bought RHS heads I would look at the Bow-Tie Vortecs. NICE!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

How about a part number and a link daddy?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Before I bought RHS heads I would look at the Bow-Tie Vortecs. NICE!!!!!
We're getting into which Vortec heads and whether "Hanks56Chevy" knows which he's looking at.

What he needs to see is:

- Original L31 Vortec part number 125508060 made from either a 10239906 or a 12558062 casting.

- Or the GMPP beefed up racing versions part numbers 25534421 or 25534431.

The GMPP versions can come with big valves and with bigger ports and lots of structural beef compared to the L31. These are a lot different from taking a set of L31's and sticking big valves in them.

I don't know which he's got, I assumed suped up L31's, but that might not be the case.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 09-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the great feeback but I'm still confused.

These heads are L31's with casting 12558062 casting. $1200 dollars was spent on these upgraded heads and work was done professionally at a Jones GM peformance dealership in Lancaster, Pa.

Selling price is $650. It's hard to walk away from these heads when a new set of Vortec with 1.94 valves will cost me about he same. However, some feedback is that they may perform worse then the stock 1.94 valve vortecs.

I just called summint racing and the guy on the phone said I may only see a slight increase in performance with my mild .465 cam but I'd at least I would have the capability to upgrade my cam down the road and take advantage of the bigger 2.02x1.6 valves, etc. He recommends I buy them and don't walk away from these heads. If I was confident they wouldn't hurt performance I would buy them but I'm getting mixed feedback. Any last thoughts?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 PM
More for Less Racer

I'd buy then too, they won't hurt power and could be better if done well. Bigger valve will help low lift flow even if the port limits the high lift flow. you're correct that a stock Vortec will limit your choices down the road due to the small valvetrain lift limits. The heads you are looking at have that fixed.

I would however question the sanity of the original owner spending $1200 on upgrading them, he could of had better for that much dough. His loss is your gain. I'm surprised the guy at Summit was that honest, kudos to him.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:53 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

$650 isn't the end of the world for some guys to spend on a set of less-than-stellar heads, but I can tell you w/o hesitation that a good looking head does not make it a good performing head.

All the smooth, polished surfaces mean little to nothing AFA what the dyno and flowbench sees.

Unless these heads were first pressure tested and then flowed on a bench by a trustworthy operator w/no connection to the sale, I would pass- unless the seller passes the smell test AFA being desperate to sell for cash flow reasons and not for nefarious reasons. Call me suspicious, I suppose...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...umber=25534421

https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...umber=25534446

Here is an article detailing the head's features and performance:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...tec/index.html
Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Thanks for the excellent article. I read a few other articles that said the 170 intake runners on the vortec heads were designed for the 1.94 valves and the (GM design engineers) didn't really see a difference with the 2.02 valves.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Word on the street is that 2.00 valves are the best for a stock runner. You can hit 260+ with a 1.94 valve and some porting.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.