Vortec Heads with 292h Comp Cam - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 292h cam will need 10:1 to 10.5:1 cr. Its likes compression ratio.
Will want a 10" 3500++stall converter. A 9" 4500 is not too much. Wants generous gearing 4.10++.
More if tires are tall (truck). This cam likes to rev. Use good springs.
Use the Perf rpm dual plane or the Super vic intake for vortecs. Use a 750cfm DP carb.
Instead of doing all the valvetrain mods to stock vortecs just buy the GMPP bowtie vortecs.
Ready to rock for .530" lift. way more port flow and power. The big port is not too big.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM

My compression is 9.8-1.
Have any of you heard about the xe274 with vortec heads??
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackitup_91 View Post
My compression is 9.8-1.
Have any of you heard about the xe274 with vortec heads??
Yea, it'll run okay, but the cam is too big. Do a max effort port job on the Vortecs and the 274 is about right, the 268 will still do wonderfully though.

If you don't care about power and just want the noise then I'd just go with a older cam with similar duration, it'll give you the noise but isn't as aggressive- better durability.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
stackitup_91 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM

ok thanks,, jus doing some research they say that the 268 and the Xe274 are the best cams to go with , with the vortec heads i am going to take back the 292H Comp Cam Today. the car is a daily driver i am looking to be around the 375-400 range..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackitup_91 View Post
ok thanks,, jus doing some research they say that the 268 and the Xe274 are the best cams to go with , with the vortec heads i am going to take back the 292H Comp Cam Today. the car is a daily driver i am looking to be around the 375-400 range..
the 262 and 268 are closer to the best cams to go with. The 274 is too big unless you port those heads to the max. The Vortec heads and 262 or 268 is capable of over 400hp if you build a really good engine around them.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Aaaaa-the Vortec crutch. GM/Chevy named a whole bunch of things Vortec. NOT all things being equal. The production line Vortec's are the tiny weenie port answer and ya just got to remember what makes them Vortecs is the rough intake runner. Some neanderthal gets in there with a die grinder and destroys the Vortec effect by smooth porting those. The Bowtie versions on the other hand do have some merit with 180 cc and 200cc intake runners. I think both have dual intake bolt patterns.

But why oh why is it always a choice of Vortecs??. Well someone along this life's journey of mine came up with a foolish notion of a budget when hot rodding. That was NEVER even a thought or at least a joke when I was younger building cars. Now it is the cheapest thing you can find vs wanting to build the best as it was. It did cost about the same when I was younger given what I was making coming up. So that excuse doesn't hold water here. We just gave up what ever it took to come up with the money to build what we wanted,took on a second job,did side work,etc. What made me and my friends around me special was the STANDARDS we held in what we where building as hot rodders. But the main priority in our life's was the car we where building. OMG tell these guys they have to give up their cell phone and all the apps on it and not text anymore so they can afford parts for a build and have a young guy with tears in his eyes. Now that is screwed up..............OK rant over,well for now anyways.

So keep asking about the Vortecs and not knowing what your missing in the aftermarket. There is a whole industry that relies on that fact..............
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Aaaaa-the Vortec crutch. GM/Chevy named a whole bunch of things Vortec. NOT all things being equal. The production line Vortec's are the tiny weenie port answer and ya just got to remember what makes them Vortecs is the rough intake runner. Some neanderthal gets in there with a die grinder and destroys the Vortec effect by smooth porting those. The Bowtie versions on the other hand do have some merit with 180 cc and 200cc intake runners. I think both have dual intake bolt patterns.

But why oh why is it always a choice of Vortecs??. Well someone along this life's journey of mine came up with a foolish notion of a budget when hot rodding. That was NEVER even a thought or at least a joke when I was younger building cars. Now it is the cheapest thing you can find vs wanting to build the best as it was. It did cost about the same when I was younger given what I was making coming up. So that excuse doesn't hold water here. We just gave up what ever it took to come up with the money to build what we wanted,took on a second job,did side work,etc. What made me and my friends around me special was the STANDARDS we held in what we where building as hot rodders. But the main priority in our life's was the car we where building. OMG tell these guys they have to give up their cell phone and all the apps on it and not text anymore so they can afford parts for a build and have a young guy with tears in his eyes. Now that is screwed up..............OK rant over,well for now anyways.

So keep asking about the Vortecs and not knowing what your missing in the aftermarket. There is a whole industry that relies on that fact..............
WTH?

Regardless of cost you can make an easy 400hp with those heads. And they are better than many aftermarket castings. A great head for a hot street engine.

I don't see what's wrong with taking a junkyard engine and tuning it to make more than 400 streetable hp for a total cost often less than $1500. And Vortec's are the only way to do that now, you can use an LT1, an LS variant, or one of the many different import turbo 4 bangers.

First person I've seen complain about how easy it is to make cheap power.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

The Vortec are the newer double hump heads with limitations. It those limitations that created the aftermarket. And yes some of those aftermarket heads are imported casted junk. It is those deals that I am commenting about as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:

Geez, take the easy way out by buying aftermarket heads? Pfft. Real hot rodders have their own foundry and cast their own. Are you against factory blocks too? The Vortec heads are the best thing GM did for us hot rodders lately. YMMV.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
The Vortec are the newer double hump heads with limitations. It those limitations that created the aftermarket. And yes some of those aftermarket heads are imported casted junk. It is those deals that I am commenting about as well.
Does domestic made junk count as well, or does slapping a flag on it make it okay? What about imported products that walk circles around the stuff most of us own?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

Quote:

YOU CAN'T get all new heads. for 350.00 each.. walk into g.m. you can.. for most street cars they make more power under the curve(peak) than most heads
most cheap aftermarket heads, pro/comp,etc are JUNK.. cast is questionable.. and mashine work.. even tho.. they say done in the usa.. is hit and miss.
good aftermarket heads in iron are 900.00 up
good alum. aftermarket heads are 1200 to 3500.oo

in your youth.. gas was cheap.. and your built small block only made a real 350-400 hp and was a tempermental beast.. fowl'n plugs, loading up..
taday we dumb dumbs that run vortecs or heads like them.. make honest 350-500 hp and the car idles, plugs don't need to be changed every month..
gets twice the fuel milage.. has some useable low end... isn't a dog untill 2500..
and you can make 400 hp and pass the epa emmissions test if you do it right.. try that with even the best parts aval. in the 60-70-80's..
the reason people run vortecs is they are good heads for the price.. with better parts because of g.m. purchase of scale..
show me ANY aftermarket heads that are 700.00 a pair..
the darts and world are slugs in flow as the heads at this price are basicly replacement aftermarket.. not really proformance..
the dart iron proformance heads are great.. and after you add good parts you're into one head what the g.m. cost a pair..
most don't NEED intake runners bigger than 180cc...
when you can buy from g.m. a 96-2002 truck vortec 350 for 1999.oo add headers and a carb.. and get 350hp..
come on.. you'd have loved that in your youth..
the old way of huge cam,huge headers and huge carb.. have been replaced with smaller parts that run better, make as much power at peak as most ole school street engines that you needed super in the tank and maybe some race gas mixed in..
and do it getting more useable street power under that peak.. run on reg swill.. and get better milage...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you can return that camshaft, I have a very good proven 350 vortec motor/camshaft combo for vortec heads
using a Isky .450" lift "lift rule cam" works with stock vortec heads with just a valve spring change.

What car? gears, converter stall, Purpose.
There are three cams to choose from. Three different durations.
All have that street machine idle and make huge torque and power on the street in a vortec 350.
Search for Dencouch 's posts on this subject.

its about as simple and low cost as it gets for vortec heads. No machining required. .450" valve lift stock GM OEM rockers.
Combine with a Performer RPM intake and 750cfm carb and headers.
Here is a vid of the this engine combo at idle.
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...-bird88vid.mp4

Best with a high stall and 3.73-4.10 gears in a Camaro/Malibu street machine.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 10-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
YOU CAN'T get all new heads. for 350.00 each.. walk into g.m. you can.. for most street cars they make more power under the curve(peak) than most heads
most cheap aftermarket heads, pro/comp,etc are JUNK.. cast is questionable.. and mashine work.. even tho.. they say done in the usa.. is hit and miss.
good aftermarket heads in iron are 900.00 up
good alum. aftermarket heads are 1200 to 3500.oo

in your youth.. gas was cheap.. and your built small block only made a real 350-400 hp and was a tempermental beast.. fowl'n plugs, loading up..
taday we dumb dumbs that run vortecs or heads like them.. make honest 350-500 hp and the car idles, plugs don't need to be changed every month..
gets twice the fuel milage.. has some useable low end... isn't a dog untill 2500..
and you can make 400 hp and pass the epa emmissions test if you do it right.. try that with even the best parts aval. in the 60-70-80's..
the reason people run vortecs is they are good heads for the price.. with better parts because of g.m. purchase of scale..
show me ANY aftermarket heads that are 700.00 a pair..
the darts and world are slugs in flow as the heads at this price are basicly replacement aftermarket.. not really proformance..
the dart iron proformance heads are great.. and after you add good parts you're into one head what the g.m. cost a pair..
most don't NEED intake runners bigger than 180cc...
when you can buy from g.m. a 96-2002 truck vortec 350 for 1999.oo add headers and a carb.. and get 350hp..
come on.. you'd have loved that in your youth..
the old way of huge cam,huge headers and huge carb.. have been replaced with smaller parts that run better, make as much power at peak as most ole school street engines that you needed super in the tank and maybe some race gas mixed in..
and do it getting more useable street power under that peak.. run on reg swill.. and get better milage...

Relative scale to my youth's income the costs are about the same as it is today. Again those stock production "Vortec" heads are not the same as the "Bowtie" Vortec's. GM has been very generous on all the things they call Vortec's.

Here are some flow numbers:

Weingartner Racing

Moving forward after 20yrs of various successfully campaigned 9.90 cars we definitely have seen a decline in the level of commitment in building cars where the words like budget and cheap have undermined the vary core of hot rodding and companies spring up using offshore junk castings. We have seen heads "rated" at a intake port size that aren't. We have seen articles in the fan magazines like hot rod misrepresent parts in order to help sell parts for their advertisers. We have a friend who quoted a job to run those tests for a article that warned us he lost his butt because of having to wait for a good set of heads he could use for the dyno run and even then he had to work on them to get them to work. Yeah-that never appeared in the article. We know the intake cc size isn't as important as the port's shape and cross section and surface of the port. Companies claiming CNC porting without the R & D for good foundation programing.

The bottom line that hasn't changed since my youth is you do get exactly what you pay for and the "deals" aren't. Please understand the point here isn't what has been made here and has a "American" flag stamp on it. It is more about the long established companies that have the funds to have been apart of the evolution to the heads you seen now through their R & D programs. CNC machines that have the capability of 5 axis porting supported by yrs of R & D isn't cheap. That is what your paying for.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

are you daff..
scale is the same.. ok.. sure

lets see when I started driving I could get a reardrive car for 50 bucks..
today.. 25 years later that same type car.. at least 2000-3500
then min wage was 3.35 today it's 8
rent then 350 for a studio.. today 1200.00
oh ya scale..

then rear drive cars everywhere.. today we have um, trucks.. pony cars kids can't afford insurance on.. or a full sized 200k mile turd
scale.. sure..

I worked two jobs so I could afford brodix heads, olover rods, forged pistons, etc etc etc.. the heads was 3 months pay..
the crank 4 months, the rods 6 weeks.. come on.. thats without paying anyother bills
my dart pro1 heads for my bbc was 2400. before upgrades.. thats a kids 6 months of income..
Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Nawwww.I am not that old that I have problems with my recall. Oh minimum wage was a buck fifty..........

The first build is the toughest. So I see you paid your dues on that one.

Tags
292h, comp cam, vortec heads

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.