vortec heads on 400 sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
R O F L M B B O!!!
Don't think I've seen that one before... "BB"?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I had a guy thats been working with sbc engines for around 16 years tell me I would be good to run them he said the pistons I have are the stock 22 cc dish pistons and im not just throwing it together iv did so much reading on it and asked ppl many ?s everybody tells me I should be fine running the vortecs on it but I know I am going to have to be running premium but that's fine BC the engine im going to have is going to be a monster well for me anyways and thanks for all the help everybody I wasnt trying to be a Dick
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith9300 View Post
I had a guy thats been working with sbc engines for around 16 years tell me I would be good to run them he said the pistons I have are the stock 22 cc dish pistons and im not just throwing it together iv did so much reading on it and asked ppl many ?s everybody tells me I should be fine running the vortecs on it but I know I am going to have to be running premium but that's fine BC the engine im going to have is going to be a monster well for me anyways and thanks for all the help everybody I wasnt trying to be a Dick
If you're sure about the dish size you can get away w/using 64cc chambers. Just be sure the heads haven't been excessively milled by a p/o. You'd be amazed what I've seen, and if they came from ebay, craigs, etc., God only knows what may have been done to them.

It's not hard to "CC" the chambers (measure the volume). If you want to do this let us know and we can offer some low-buck tips on doing it.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I did get them from CL so I would like to know how plz you can pm me if its better for you
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Fair chance you'll need premium to keep it from pinging.

What you want to avoid is backing the timing off from the best power timing to stop the pinging. This is because lowering the timing kills the power and mileage.

The 256 Comp cam has a relatively early intake valve closing (IC) point (55 ABDC @ 0.006" lift). What that means to you is the static compression ratio (SCR) that I estimated to be about 9.6:1 on your last thread will make the dynamic compression ratio (DCR) to be about 8.25:1. This page (written by techinspector1) will give you an idea of what CR is needed for different durations.

BUT!!! Until you know the exact static compression ratio as well as the quench distance (and that brings you back to CC'ing the combustion chambers and measuring how far down the hole your piston sits and the dish volume), this is a ballpark guess ONLY!!! To use my figures w/o checking my math and using the correct SCR might cost you an engine or at the very least cause you to tear it back down to correct the CR or to run race gas or to retard the total timing.

Online Calculators (there are others):

SCR calculator
Wallace Racing DCR calculator
Kelly DCR calculator
KB/Silvolite DCR calculator

You also need to use a vacuum advance and set the ignition timing advance curve up correctly. There are MANY threads on this. After reading up on it if you still have questions, just ask and we'll try to sort it out for you. But first you need to research it for yo'self.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.