Hot Rod Forum banner

Vortec heads cam swap

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DamnTexn 
#1 ·
Newbie trying to follow the rules but still having some cold ones.

My project is an ’85 Chevy K10 which is my daily driver. Looking at adding Vortec heads, Vortec intake, and a cam to the existing engine.

What would be a good cam for this application? What is the max lift I can use with the Vortec heads, I have heard and read a lot of different specs?

#3 ·
I am getting ready to do some engine mods (on a small budget) to my daily driver but need help in selecting the right cam for my application. As I stated above this is my daily driver, I do pull a trailer on occasion as well as load the bed with mulch, dirt, or rock. Does not see much trail or mud action yet. But on occasion I get a little wild and go mudding or want to show the rice burners some real muscle which is kind of pathetic right now but at least it is loud. Gas mileage not an issue as it gets about 10-12 mpg city and worse on the highway (I'm thinking a cam will help).

First about the truck: 1985 Chevy K10 with 700R4 tranny, 4:10 gears posi in the rear with 33" tires (4" lift).

Now about the engine: stock 350 re-manufactured about 3 years ago, currently with a Wieand intake (8120), Carter AFB carb (9636 625cfm), and Flowtech longtube headers (31500 ceramic coated nice) dual exhaust 2 1/4" id w/glasspacks and echo cans out the back.

Engine mods I am looking at: Vortec heads (12558062) have sitting on the shelf, Vortec style intake also sitting on the shelf (Edelbrock 2116 polished very nice), self aligning roller tip rockers probably Comp Cams 1.5 (would love to go with full rollers but can not afford them at this time), cam and new timing kit which is where I need the help.

Any ideas?

Was looking at:
Lunati:

Comp Cams:
12-234-2
12-235-2
12-238-2
12-239-3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.