Vortec heads and standard SBC Intake Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 11:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vortec heads and standard SBC Intake Question

I keep hearing how Vortec heads are great heads for mild buildups, and people are saying they're using standard smallblock intake manifolds with them. How are they doing this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2004, 11:52 PM
you talkin to me?

what exactly is your question?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:24 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

They drill out the heads to accept the old pattern intake. This really doesn't work well though because the vortecs have a raised intake port that is angled smaller at the top than the bottom. It takes a lot of work just to get things sealed up, let-alone port matched! Vortec intakes are getting cheaper all of the time! If you added the cost of an old style intake and the machine work, it would probably be cheaper to buy a vortec intake!!
Old 03-28-2004, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

It's possible by having the intake side of the Vortec head redrilled with the older 6 bolt holes per side pattern.

Where you might run into a serious problem is with the port alignment of many of the intakes. The Vortec int. ports are taller than many older intakes.....some will work though.

Less work to just order a Vortec bolt patterned intake I would think.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:45 PM
something droll and pithy

Yeah, well, there's Vortec, then there's Vortec.

Seems some people are calling any center bolt head a Vortec (I've seen it on eBay). The Vortec heads performance minded people are thinking of have 4 intake manifold bolts per head, other center bolt heads have the 6 bolts per side.

If standard (older) intake manifolds bolt right up, they're just center bolt, not the hi-po Vortecs.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Was interesting to see Boyd Codington modify a 3 deuce manifold to fit the Vortec aluminum heads he had on the "Alumacoupe" on the show last week. They added aluminum to the intake and ground it down to look like it was made that way. Then they just bolted it on. Funny when someone who builds "mega dollar" rides bolts an intake on to an expensive engine and doesn't even consider the fact that the ports don't match worth a damn.

Just reinforces my opinion that Boyd is a flaming idiot.

Centerline
Old 03-29-2004, 07:25 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

I caught that too Centerline! And I agree with you!! Boyd C.=
Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

vortec

I have been through all of this........Just buy the intake designed for the vortec heads you will be much happier in the end. There are some standard small block intakes (Victor jr,weiand) that have the top of the runners wide enough to cover the raised ports of the vortec heads but,the rest of the alignment is all out of wack!!!!! If you look at the vortec ports and the standard ports they are totally different.

Centerline....... I thought i was the only one that is thinking "How in the world is Boyd getting paid to build a car" Did you see him drive that 55 with the brand new ram jet 502 from the roll back into the shop WITH-OUT a radiator??????

Keith
Old 03-29-2004, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Re: vortec

Quote:
Originally posted by k-star
Centerline....... I thought i was the only one that is thinking "How in the world is Boyd getting paid to build a car" Did you see him drive that 55 with the brand new ram jet 502 from the roll back into the shop WITH-OUT a radiator??????
Thats not the first time he's done that. I think he started and ran the engine in that ugly yellow and blue 34 they built on one of the first shows with no radiator too. Another thing he did with the Alumacoupe was to run the thing with zero oil pressure while he tried to figure out why it didn't have pressure. Can you say "STUPID"? Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. And right along with that (and this applies to his customers), "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Centerline
Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: Re: vortec

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Centerline
[B]Thats not the first time he's done that. I think he started and ran the engine in that ugly yellow and blue 34 they built on one of the first shows with no radiator too. Another thing he did with the Alumacoupe was to run the thing with zero oil pressure while he tried to figure out why it didn't have pressure. Can you say "STUPID"? Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. And right along with that (and this applies to his customers), "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Where do guys like this find these customers????? I understand some of the conversations and arguments are for the cameras (like orange county choppers) But the basic mechanical deal should be right on the money in my books. Like did you here boyd say that the guy stayed all night to set the timing on that 55????

Wasn't boyd in bankruptcy like 2 or 3 years ago????

Keith
Old 03-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thats not the first time he's done that. I think he started and ran the engine in that ugly yellow and blue 34 they built on one of the first shows with no radiator too. Another thing he did with the Alumacoupe was to run the thing with zero oil pressure while he tried to figure out why it didn't have pressure. Can you say "STUPID"? Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. And right along with that (and this applies to his customers), "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Where do guys like this find these customers????? I understand some of the conversations and arguments are for the cameras (like orange county choppers) But the basic mechanical deal should be right on the money in my books. Like did you here boyd say that the guy stayed all night to set the timing on that 55????

Wasn't boyd in bankruptcy like 2 or 3 years ago????
I thought the same things, there's a few Disney type of fixes for high dollar cars.
The bankrupcty deal, yes it did happen, he took quite a few people down with the bankruptcy, some people think it was a way for him to regain control after it had been put up for the public to invest in.
On the Vortec intake, a friend of mine has a carbureted intake on his engine. He has no telephone or computer but he managed to find one. Maybe he can write a letter to Boyd and let him know about the manufacturer. Dan
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Re: Re: Re: vortec

[QUOTE]Originally posted by k-star
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Centerline
Where do guys like this find these customers?????
Boyd got his rep doing some very nice cars several years ago but based on what I've seen on the show, (bondo all over the frame on each car they've covered and treating customer's engines like throw-aways), I wouldn't by a glass of water from him.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people out there with more money than common sense who don't seem to realize that just like buying a Toyota, they're paying big $$ for a name. Although it may look pretty, under the surface these people are getting a lot less than what they're paying for.

Quote:
Originally posted by dinger
On the Vortec intake, a friend of mine has a carbureted intake on his engine. He has no telephone or computer but he managed to find one. Maybe he can write a letter to Boyd and let him know about the manufacturer.
The intake Boyd used was a three deuce intake and apparently no one makes one for the Vortec heads. The correct thing to do would be to buy a correct manifold and go with something other than 3 duces.

Centerline
Old 03-29-2004, 11:11 PM
something droll and pithy

I know we're hijacking a thread here, but I have to chime in.

When Bluebear and some other guy were positioning the rear end for the '55, Bluebear couldn't figure out how to operate a ratchet strap.

Talk about dropping your pants in front of the world!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

rear

Yea, i did not get to see the whole deal with the rear. I could not figure out why it took 3 guys all morning to get it set????????? Plus the rachet strap deal was a classic ROTFL..... I just thought i missed something in the beginning...It looked to me like the frame was on a jig plate but i never saw them using any lines or measurements to the front end????? I just thought they might have been using a laser to set the rear like the high end shops do but they just chose not to show it on camera..........

I wished the discovery channel would give me that same budget and let me try my hand at it???????

Keith
Old 03-30-2004, 07:02 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Re: rear

Quote:
Originally posted by k-star
I wished the discovery channel would give me that same budget and let me try my hand at it???????

Keith
Yeah. my show would be called "Hillbilly HotRods!" Lets see...I need a torch, a welder, granny's old rockin' chair...........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.