Vortec Heads vs Regular - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This thread is just a little old!!!!
2003?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just wanted to add that there is different vortec heads. There is the ones that come from trucks and they are cast for economy and are not machinable to change for power applications. Check your casting numbers!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The Vortecs ONLY come from trucks, and the 5.7 Vortec heads ONLY come with casting numbers ending in 906 or 062.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Vortec heads

I took a pair of new gm Vortec heads had them drilled and tapped forguide plates, had the seat and guide turned down for a bigger lift cam. These are the BEST performing heads I have ever used for the price. And they are bullet proof. Best bang for the buck.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 PM

vortec heads

watch some of the parts suppliers- you can buy aluminun 220cmf with 202 valves for $600 A PAIR. dont get any better.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 PM

So what did the heads come on , only trucks ? . What would I be looking for in a scrap yard .
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM

vortec heads

For those who don't know (FTWDK), "Vortec heads are FORGED in Austrailia. ANYONE CAN GETa pair and do their own MACHINE WORK. "PRO COMP heads are "forged in Australia, sent to CHINA, and machined there. When I ended uo purchasing TWO pair (accidently), I tried to SEE the difference, "PRO COMP" heads are "forged in Australia, and MACHINED in CHINA! The Vortec-heads I decided to use are "FORGED in AUSTRAILIA, and MACHINED in FRESNO CALIFORNIA! Guess which heads I chose? YES, the ones MACHINED IN AMERICA. i.e., the ones MACHINED in FRESNO CA! Also, the "China-Vortec's cost $605 plus shipping. THE FRESNO-Vortecs cost $400 (by bid) and shipping was FREE! PAY ATTENTION to WHO you buy from, and WHERE the parts are made AND MACHINED. Also the SHIPPING CHARGES because there ARE folks that USE "shipping charges" against the unknowing & unweary.
Side by side, the only difference was; I could SEE a difference between to two, without doing research is, the Fresno-Vortecs have GREEN "keepers" and the CHINESE-Vortecs have BLACK keepers. THAT is the ONLY VISABLE difference! Oh, AND 200+ dollars shipping charge! Peace everyone
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

J*gs sells these heads for $320 each, brand new, S*mmit Racing will match their price as well. Scoggin-Dickey sells them already modified with cut down guides, screw in studs, guide plates and better valve seals for a bit more. Bolt on and go.... too many J/Y heads wind up being cracked to be worth looking for them that way,
Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM

exhast port configuration

I just installed a new GM Performance 350HO in my 57.
Note, the exhaust port configuration is also different. The space between the ports changed. I had to buy headers made for vortec heads from Heddman Hedders.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The exhaust ports and headers are the same. Use gaskets to match them. Here is a picture of summits 9006 headers for $89 and vortec 906 heads. In my journal there are pictures of the fit , both sides, in my c10.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Pro Comp Alum heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ubben View Post
watch some of the parts suppliers- you can buy aluminun 220cmf with 202 valves for $600 A PAIR. dont get any better.
Watch those off brand aluminum heads. They don't heli coil plug or mounting threads and they are very soft. The spark plug recess holes are so tight most standard wall plug sockets won't fit. I have tried two sets with NO luck, would not reccomend. I have etec Eldebrock 220's on a 383 and they rock. Well made and are good for the 475 hp and almost that in TQ. My two cents worth
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM

My mistake, it wasn't the exhaust ports that were the issue, it was the spark plug location. GM mover them a little on Vortec headds, so you have to watch so the header tubes allow access to the plug location.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Vortec heads

Vortec heads are the way to go for a low buck build. They give the most bang for your buck, assuming you have a way to modify the holes where the intake manifold bolts on. The holes will all line up, but they are on completely different angles. I personally believe that you should go with a vortec Intake manifold because re -drilled heads aren't as strong. (Just my opinion).
Also check out Pro-Comp Heads. By the time you factor in the cost at the machine shop with the vortec heads, they cost about the same. They have a variety of different combustion chamber sizes, and usually cost between $400 -$500. There are a lot of stores selling them new on Ebay. I tried a set on a 383 stroker, and I was very happy with the results. They are aluminum too. My only suggestion on the Pro-Comp heads is to avoid the angled spark plug holes. They cause clearance issues with most headers and exhaust manifolds. I have also bought world heads in the past, and been happy with them too. They just cost a bit more.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.