Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortec heads w/solid lift cam...anyone?

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  67 Deuce 4 Me 
#1 · (Edited)
I am using the upgraded Scoggin-Dickey Vortec heads with the Z-28 springs. These are supossed to be good to .550 lift. I also am using a Comp Cams Magnum 280H cam, .480/.480 with an RPm Air Gap intake. I want to go to a solid cam but unsure about using these heads. The car is a 78 Malibu Drag race only. Looking for Vortec combos using a solid lift cam. Please give cam lift specs and intake you are using. Thanks !!!

#3 ·
The head will work out just fine. The port's are a little small for all out performance rpm though. Goos street heads.The spring I'd be worried about. Upgrade to a better spring. What ever spring the manufacturer of your choice recommends.

.550 on most Z28 type springs is seriously pushing the limit. Harmonics with that spring at solid cam territory would drasticly shorten spring life.

#4 ·
Given that your cylinder heads will have a major effect the peak power rpms, which I would put around 52-5400 depending on you overall combination (i.e. compression, rotating ***. weight, carb, convertor, etc...) Your shift point will probably be around 56-5800. I would tend to think that you'r gonna need a cam that is somewhere around the 235-240* intake duration @.050" and 240-245* on the exhaust, and a lobe separation around 108* The exhaust ports on the vortec aren't quite good enough unported to handle a single pattern cam, meaning same lift and dura. on intake and exh. And I 100% agree with the springs being changed.

That just my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.