Vortec intake question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vortec intake question?

I bought one of the performance products performer style intakes to go with my new vortec heads. My mechanic said the engine would run very rough because the intake has no provisions for coolant to flow under the carb. This intake is a replica of the Edelbrock Performer and it does not have the coolant crossover either. The Edelbrock Performer RPM and the GM Bowtie intakes both have the coolant crossover ports. My mechanic said you need the coolant to warm the fuel at start up. I just wanted to know what style intake you guys run and is not having the coolant crossover going to be a problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crseth
I bought one of the performance products performer style intakes to go with my new vortec heads. My mechanic said the engine would run very rough because the intake has no provisions for coolant to flow under the carb. This intake is a replica of the Edelbrock Performer and it does not have the coolant crossover either. The Edelbrock Performer RPM and the GM Bowtie intakes both have the coolant crossover ports. My mechanic said you need the coolant to warm the fuel at start up. I just wanted to know what style intake you guys run and is not having the coolant crossover going to be a problem?

My company makes the style manifold that you have. We have sold thousands of them and have never heard a complaint. In fact, it is one of our most popular manifolds.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crseth
I think your guy is smoking something there is no coolant running under the carb. On some engines theres a exhaust passage. but thats not one of them.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

i agree with Deuce, thats some good stuff that guys on. Why would you want to heat the fuel?? wouldnt it be more likely to perculate or vapor lock?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

intake

I purchased a Jon Barrett crate motor- he uses the same intake. I haven't started it yet, but I have no doubt it will run well. Jon Barrett has been building motors way too long to damage his reputation now. Bill
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 AM

intake

I would question the capabilities of your mech. Chev has not had a intake with water running under the carb. He is thinking,or not ,of the exhaust. I run a edel air gap with my v tech heads and it works fine.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

I agree also that your Mechanic might be thinking of something else...? (exhaust as in EGR...?) GM did have an adapter for 89-90 model 1 ton trucks with 454`s and TBI that had water going through it but not in the manifold itself (under the TBI unit)... Most all performance apps try to keep that area under the carb as cool as possible (hence the air-gap type mainfolds) Unless your in extremely cold conditions where ice could build up on the throttle valves then you would simply use a heat stove system off the exhaust manifold or headers... (directs warm air directly into the carb)
Old 12-17-2005, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

5.7 tbi engines had coolant under the throttle body area so he could be getting confused thinking about those.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Latvala
5.7 tbi engines had coolant under the throttle body area so he could be getting confused thinking about those.

I thought the same thing. That's the only setup I know of that runs coolant into the middle of the manifold. Although I think the original poster probably misunderstood the mechanic and mixed up a water passage with the exhaust crossover. The heat riser is really only required for cold starts in extremely cold climates.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Vortec motors and heads do not have the exhaust crossover passages like older engines, the GM Performance Parts Vortec manifolds have a water passage that runs under the plenum for cold weather and marine applications to warm the air fuel mixture to prevent puddling on the plenum floor. For the guys that don't drive their cars in the cold and those that live in warmer climates it's not necessary or even wanted. Something to consider if you drive your carbureted Vortec head small block in the crap we're experiencing right now though, 3 Deg. above! BBBBRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Blocked heat crossovers, aluminum intakes and sub-freezing temps are not a fun combination.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:36 PM

Water heated Vortec Manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Vortec motors and heads do not have the exhaust crossover passages like older engines, the GM Performance Parts Vortec manifolds have a water passage that runs under the plenum for cold weather and marine applications to warm the air fuel mixture to prevent puddling on the plenum floor. For the guys that don't drive their cars in the cold and those that live in warmer climates it's not necessary or even wanted. Something to consider if you drive your carbureted Vortec head small block in the crap we're experiencing right now though, 3 Deg. above! BBBBRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Blocked heat crossovers, aluminum intakes and sub-freezing temps are not a fun combination.
You are correct about GM Performance offering a manifold with a water jacket under the plenum. It is G.M. part number 12366573. It appears similar in design to a Professional Products Typhoon or an Edelbrock Performer RPM. GM also makes a Vortec manifold that is similar to a Professinal Products Cyclone or an Edelbrock Performer but it does not have the water jacket in it.

Other than this G.M. manifold, none of the aftermarket Vortec manifolds have a water jacket. However, unless the original person posting the question is planning on operating the vehicle in very cold weather, this is not important. Once the engine reaches operating temperature, the water in the manifold is not needed. In fact, this water jacket in the G.M. manifold would seem to be superflous because when you first attempt to start the car, the water would be cold and would have no value in warming up the intake charge. It would take quite a while for the water to get hot enough to where it would do any good and by that time the engine is warmed up anyway. The old style exhaust heated heat risers provided instant heat. So I am really not sure what function this water jacket performs.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavis
You Once the engine reaches operating temperature, the water in the manifold is not needed. In fact, this water jacket in the G.M. manifold would seem to be superflous because when you first attempt to start the car, the water would be cold and would have no value in warming up the intake charge. It would take quite a while for the water to get hot enough to where it would do any good and by that time the engine is warmed up anyway. The old style exhaust heated heat risers provided instant heat. So I am really not sure what function this water jacket performs.
Yeah that had me puzzled too. ?????

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.