Hot Rod Forum banner

Vortec Question

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  trees 
#1 ·
Are the exhaust ports the same on the Vortec heads? If I replace my current heads with Vortec's will the headers I'm ordering still fit???? I know I'm going to need a new intake :( but I didn't want to order my new headers until I'm sure. Ideally the ports are the same so I could use them now on my exsisting heads

Regards
Mark

#4 ·
The only problem I've found is that 305 heads have a difference and the last bolt on the passenger side won't line up. Some heads had seven bolt holes to compensate. That's why when you buy exhaust gaskets two of the end gaskets have two holes instead of one. What castings do you have?

#6 · (Edited)
JD,I may be wrong on this since I have not paid attention to the cast iron VORTEC head, only the after market. But if you look at the VORTEC intake runner and exhaust runner flow numbers, the exhaust ports have to be larger and I have been told they are the same .250" taller as the intake ports than the old style. That is the way it is on my ETECH heads which is a marriage of the GM VORTEC and GM Fast burn aluminum heads. I had to use a die grinder to port match my exhaust headers. VORTEC heads flow more air, because they have bigger runners, and in theory, they mix the fuel and air better because of the machined design on the intake ports; thus VORTEC name derived from vortex, a phenomen of swirilling air. Almost forgot, I used Sanderstrom Cast Headers which have larger ports and don' t have the sealing problems as tube headers and they are tucked in tighter than Block Huggers. Only drawback is they are PRICEY, but you can move them on to other motors.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.