vortec vs phase 2 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: vortec or phase 2 heads
which one is really better value? 0 0%
which head requires the list amount of mods? 2 66.67%
do you really want to run a 460 or small lift cam? 1 33.33%
do you really want to own a thin cast head? 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

vortec vs phase 2 heads

hi ive been reading alot about the vortec heads they are impressive but theres alot i think people should consider about them ive tested there numbers against the phase 2 heads with the 2.02 1.60 valves there slightly higher flow numbers only at lowwer lifts with lifts over 460 the phase 11 heads really come on leaving the vortecs behind also the phase 2 heads have a FAR greater flow potential then the vortec when ported also youll need to modify the vortecs for real valve springs guid plates bigger valves and higher then 4.60 lift cams when you compare the prices i think youre insane to over look the phase 2s there ready for screw in studs and ready to roll weve runs some test and for real power even real street power a ported set of phase 2 can bring real horse power over 500 horse easy with some good componants.... i just dont want people to be caught in the hype of the vortec heads before they here the real facts just my 2 cents you decide.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 11:43 PM

about the vortec vs phase 2 poll

im sorry ive never done a poll before and the poll questions were poorly writen ................ if youre still in favor of the vortec dispite there needed mods and limitations vote high % to the questions if youre in favor of the phase 2s vote a low percentage if undecided vote in the 50% tile......... sorry i will be more in depth with the questions and better to the real question thanks....
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 PM

The Bowtie head is pretty old and long in the tooth. Meaning it's a old tech head design. The vortec not only has a much better port but a much, much better combustion chamber. It's low lift average flow numbers below .500 just smoke a stock Bowtie. Lifts of .500 and below are where 99% of the folks that run a small head like this cam their motors.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The Bow Tie heads are a different animal. They are old technology, and really shouldn't be compared to vortec heads.

Vortec heads are probably the best choice for a mild street thumper. They are thin castings, and the oem castings are very very crack prone. They flow well, as Rick has stated, at lifts of .500" and below, making them a natural head to use with most street type, flat tappet cams.

If I were building a competition engine, and I had a choice between a stock Vortec head and a Bow Tie, I would still choose the Bow Tie because of the heavier casting and the ability to remove alot of material for hand porting. The stock runner volume of a Bow Tie is 184 CC vs. 170 CC for the vortec. You can well over 200 CC volume and larger out of a Bow Tie head, while you can't take much out of the vortecs.

Vortec heads just aren't durable enough for me. You can go to the aftermaket and get a 906 clone, which is a better choice over the stocker.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.