Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - vortec or world s/r torquer heads?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

vortec or world s/r torquer heads?

Not so long ago I discovered that the pickup my friend had sold me has a 307, and not the 327 as claimed. It's a Canadian casting but I don't have the numbers here with me right now. It's not his fault as the auction house and previous owner before him claimed that it was a 327, and I got the pamphlet to prove it. I guess I should change my name to club307, he he!
Anyway I'm wanting to dump the truck heads as they've got 70cc chambers and small valves. The RH head also has a huge crack below the exhaust ports, but thankfully it barely weeps any coolant at all! I love the results I've read about the vortec heads and am willing to put up with all the changes required to run them. However, I've also seen that World products make dedicated heads for the small bore SBC such as the 305 and 307. These I believe have large valves (1.940" + 1.500"), use standard type manifolds, valve covers and rockers. They also have 58cc combustion chambers which really do it for me! The part number is 955-042650. Please don't suggest that I go for a 350, 400, 383 or whatever coz I'm not going to pay the $800 we are charged over here for a bare used 350 block.
Another friend of mine has said that it could also have been bored 4inches to make it a 327, but I told him that these cylinders are too thin for that. But as he's into building competition engines and knows something, he says that he's done that to quite a few 307's over here. Mind you it's the Australian cast 307's that he reckons are capable for over boring coz of the thicker walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Rob