Vortech supercharger...... tuning?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 10:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Vortech supercharger...... tuning??

I am looking into getting the vortech bolt on supercharger kit for carburated small block chevys. www.vortechsuperchargers.com.
My question is how high of compression I can run with this and how much boost?? Also, what kind of tuning would I have to do to the carburator? It says I will need the proper jets and slight modification might be required. It will be going on a small block 400ci. Any input will help. thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

First,I will assume this is the kit including the carb enclosure.

The more compression you try to run, the less boost you will be able to run on a set fuel octane without detonation. If you go too low with the compression, however, it will be a slug untill the boost developes. On the street this can be a problem, on the track just use gear and converter to compensate. 8:1 is a good ratio and is about as low as you can go on an sbc without hard starting and sluggishness. 9:1 would be a bit more peppy on the low end. Some pros run 7:1 including top fuelers. The lower the compression, the more boost it will tolerate and the more power it will make up top.

You will have a hard time getting much lower than 8:1 on a 400 without custom large dish pistons, unless you start playing with deck hieght. I am running JE 23cc dish pistons and 76cc heads on my turbocharged 408sbc for about 8:1.

You can easily run 12psi on 8:1 and 93 octane fuel if you monitor egt and get the carb tuned so as not to lean out under boost. On race gas 20 or more psi.

As for the carb, Run a Holley first off. They require little modification and can keep up with the fuel needs under boost. The main mod being nytrophyl float bowls to keep them from crushing under boost. Some people recommend enlarging the air bleeds to help with signal under boost, but it is not alway necissary, and you really need to know what you are doing. A BG with tunable bleeds would also be a good carb and would solve this problem. You will have to jet a little rich on the secondaries over N/A like around 90 to 95, but testing is manditory.

Also dont forget a boost reference regulator, high pressure fuel pump and a BTM timing unit.

Chris
Old 11-02-2002, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

The tuning of the carb and the ammount of modification depends greatly on whether the system is blow through or draw through...
Blow through tuning is more complicated, draw through is not a cinch, but its easier.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

For the money and head aches, is it worth it to install a supercharger, or should I just stick with naturally aspirated?? Im mostly using the car on the street. Is there alot of mantainance and is there alot of problems you run into?
Old 11-07-2002, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by chevyelc81:
<strong>For the money and head aches, is it worth it to install a supercharger, or should I just stick with naturally aspirated?? Im mostly using the car on the street. Is there alot of mantainance and is there alot of problems you run into?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hell yes it is worth it! You have a 600 HP street car that idles in traffic and has good driving manors. There is not that much tuning on a blow through once you have it set up. It just takes a few changes up front.

Chris
Old 11-07-2002, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

It is worth it to have a supercharger. You should see the look on peoples faces when I pop the hood on that plain lookin stude. The power difference is also very nice.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

What kind of changes up front are you talking about?? And what would you recomend for a cam shaft with the supercharger? Also, is there any kind of special head gasket I should use? Its going in a small block 400ci, with performer rpm air gap intake and dart aluminum 2.08 heads, Im going to be running a roller camshaft and the motor is going to be bolted to a 6-speed standard with 3.73 gears. The car is a 3000lb 69 camaro. I use the car everyday in the summer and race it when I can. I want the best streetable cam with my set up, any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

All the carb mods are in my previous post. As for the 400, If you are using a stock block it will need at least a low grout fill. Stock sbc blocks will eventually split a cylinder if they are not grouted and run over 500 HP very long. Mine is full grouted to the top. After market is much stronger. If you are driving it daily you will only be able to do a low grout. Also, dont forget studs throughout. You dont have to run any special head gaskets, but oring the block so it will hold the gaskets. Comp cams has some good off the shelf cams for superchargers. It would be best to call comp cams or someone else and see what they recommend. It will be a fairly mild cam with low duration and wide lsa.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.