Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vortic Heads?
Thread: Vortic Heads?
View Single Post
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
techinspector1 techinspector1 is offline
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida, USA
Age: 75
Posts: 15,335
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,559 Posts
"aftermarket vortec style heads"

"Aftermarket" refers to manufacturers other than OEM, such as the aforementioned Jimmy-Crack-Corn and Ah-So heads which are junk in my opinion.

I'm talking about using genuine GM Vortec heads. You can buy them new across the counter at any Chevy dealer or you can harvest them from a boneyard motor, '96 to '99 Chevy truck with 350 Vortec motor. Look for a sawtooth design on the end of the heads and pull the valve covers to verify casting numbers 12558062 or 10239906. If you get heads from a boneyard, get the rocker arms (special rail rockers for use with Vortec heads) and valve covers (center bolt design) with them. Take them to a machine shop and have them magnafluxed for cracks. Unaltered Vortecs will have a valve lift limit of 0.450" due to clearance between the underside of the retainer and the top of the valve seal and will have to be disassembled and the clearance increased if you plan to run valve lift over 0.450". Or, you can purchase heads which have been modified for more lift. Or, you can get a camshaft with more duration and lift-limited to 0.450" from any of the cam grinders. Scoggin-Dickey sells heads which have been modified for 0.525" lift under part number SD8060A2, assembled with valves, springs, seals and retainers.
New 12558060 heads.....
New 12558060 (SD8060A2) heads modified for more lift.....
Please thoroughly read this page from Gilbert Chevrolet.....
Reply With Quote