Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hot Rod Art (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hot-rod-art/)
-   -   Voting Starts Now Aprils Hotrodders Art Contest "Movie Cars Anything Goes" (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/voting-starts-now-aprils-hotrodders-art-contest-movie-cars-anything-176955.html)

Only Racing 04-27-2010 01:23 AM

Voting Starts Now Aprils Hotrodders Art Contest "Movie Cars Anything Goes"

Voting Starts Now Aprils Hotrodders Art Contest "Movie Cars Anything Goes"

This month may have seemed like an easy one for movie buff's with tied winning Member's "fortypickup" and "Doodler" both accepting an agreement to feature "Movie Cars" as the subject for April. The contest began; Almost laying in latency for two weeks a final burst of energy got into the artists and all tried to involve themselves with their own version of movie cars all of you would like. I doubt you will have ever figured there would not be a duplicate entry for this since there are few on the highest and some lying around as individual preferences.

I found it interesting that there are websites out there dedicated to "Movie Cars" and what they feel is the most or "most popular of all time" as it seems country dependant.

Our members have worked their talents and brought you some of your favorites for voting in this months Hotrodders.com Art Contest "Movie Cars, Anything Goes" so please stop in and vote as you like and more so have fun, All artists are individuals with talent and you are the eye of the beholder, vote as you like and ENJOY !!.

Voting will ends five days after the poll is opened as it closes automatically and a winner gets to choose the next months subject matter.

Images Appear In Order Of Submission Dates By The Artists, Please make sure you view the artists larger images if there are ones by choosing the link below for more detail and some wallpapers if you like.

Voting Starts Now !!

1 ) 57Corvette: Rat Rod Studios
Streetbeasts lawsuit donor
The Ghostbusters Ecto–1 and The Dark Knight's Batmobile "The Tumbler"

Member 57 Corvette optimizes the images with his skills that we have come to know as aspiring to be individual in many ways. An almost high dynamic range style of processing photos and combining various programs to put together a complete package starting off with one of the most popular of rides in movies. The Ghostbuster's ECTO-1 '59 Cadillac is resembled in the image with his style that shows the remarkable details and clarity that only a seasoned artist can accomplish with his talent.

57Corvette: The Ghostbusters Ecto–1
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...te_ecto1-t.jpg

Click The Link Below To View Artists Large Image:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ette_ecto1.jpg

"Movie Notes"
Ecto–1 is a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor limo-style endloader combination car (ambulance conversion) used in the 1984 film was used to carry the team's ghost-capturing equipment, as well as transporting the Ghostbusters through New York City. It has a distinctive siren wail. Its features include a special pull-out rack in the rear containing the staff's proton packs, which facilitates a quick retrieval without the complication of having to reach into the vehicle's rear. There are also various gadgets mounted on the top, whose function is never revealed in the movies.

The Dark Knight's Batmobile "The Tumbler"
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g..._tumbler-t.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...te_tumbler.jpg

The second image consists of the film based background showing The Dark Knight's Batmobile "The Tumbler" in the classic dark setting, we all have enjoyed the original, now the years have given us this, 57 Corvette has again dropped into the mix his talent of precise image cutting and perspective to bring out the best in the complete set of programs as almost a photographic take was shot on film.

"Movie Notes"
The Dark Knight's Batmobile "The Tumbler" is powered by a 5.7-liter Chevy V-8 engine. "This engine has been tuned so that it can provide the power necessary to take a 5,000-pound vehicle from zero to 60 mph in 5 seconds." Those enormous tires are real. "The rear tires are 37-inch-diameter, off-the-shelf, 4x4 mud tires called Super Swampers made by Interco," while the front features a set of Hoosier racing tires. The rear uses a standard truck axle, but the front wheels are not mounted on an axle at all. Each is instead mounted on "independent suspension elements inspired by the long-travel suspensions of Baja racing trucks. When airborne, the front wheels pop out about 30 inches on their suspensions to absorb the shock of a 30-foot fall." The Batmobile's body is made of "65 carbon-fiber panels."

2 ) Hinson: Starving Artist
Transformer's Bumble Bee and James Bond DB5 Aston Martin

After all these competitions I believe Member "Hinson" is a newcomer and quite ecstatic to be a part of this opting in the contest with two images from his choices of Movie Cars. A style of artwork that makes many look and understand the image processing of computer graphics easily understandable. His choices were good ones, featuring the highly colored "Bumble Bee Camaro" and the "Ultimately sexiest car in movies, James Bonds DB5 Aston Martin"

Hinson uses his computer graphics skill to cut an image and place it on a background with text effects added to make it more inviting to the viewer. Hard color contrasts, blending of reflections and so forth add to the complete approach to his entries

Hinson: Transformer's Bumble Bee
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ansformers.jpg

"Movie Notes"
Since the original Bumble Bee was a Volkswagen in 1984, movie producers settled on a 1976 model painted yellow with black stripes, primer and rust patches, riveted hood scoop, Cragar SS wheels up front. The fifth-generation Camaro model was built using a 2006 Pontiac GTO by Saleen, the body was built from the same GM R&D molds that were used in the 2006 Camaro Concept. In the movie, the clapped out 76 Camaro shows a little attitude by showing his new owner that the "Beetle" next to him in the used car lot isn't the right one; he boots it out of the way with his door as a little jest for the real fans of the Transformers Characters. The Newest Version of the "Bumble Bee also appears in the "Transformers Sequel" Revenge of the Fallen.

Hinson: James Bond DB5 Aston Martin
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n_martin-t.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ton_martin.jpg

"Movie Notes"
Featured in five films the novelisation of Golden Eye it is stated that Bond purchased the DB5 as his own personal vehicle. A model is currently on display in the International Spy Museum in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of Washington, D.C. As of August 2008, the Gold finger DB5 with gadgets is on display at the Jersey Gold Center (in the Channel Islands) it features the pop out gun barrels behind the front indicators, the bullet shield behind the rear window and a 3-way revolving front number plate showing "GOLD FINGER" or "JB007" or "BMT216A".

3 ) brickyardboy: Streetbeasts lawsuit donor
"Jeepers Creepers" 1941 Chevy Cabover

Brickyard Boy has a talent many of us strive to accomplish, putting pencil to paper, paint from a brush; he has some skills we would all like to have in our arsenal. His rendering of the "Jeepers Creepers" 41 Cabover is something of a classic still out of the movie. His choice of stance and coloring add to the primal fear the movie chilled you with. Styles of this caliber are few and far between only making us want to try harder and bring out the stack of media we have all used once or twice in our life, a great look from this member and artistry at the highest level.

brickyardboy: "Jeepers Creepers"
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...s_creepers.jpg

"Movie Notes"
Two innocent kids, driving a cool blue '60 Impala on the open road are accosted by one of the coolest movie trucks driven around by a demon driver. You can almost hear the death-cry from the horn

4 ) Doodler: 3Deuce Speedshop
"Smokin Bandit T/A"

As any artist out there knows it's hard to find time and also make choices to play in competitions when so many choices are out there for you when a Movie Car is involved. It's also rare we get a glimpse into the mind of an artist like Doodler and see his beginning concept on paper ( Doodler Did Not Want To Submit This, But Upon Request I Asked He Should ). As most of you have seen, Doodler is widely becoming an artist that should se the recognition of anyone that has his capabilities, strong showings in other contests with FINISHED images have been amazingly well done, this one in fact is not a finished image yet we all get to see the immense talent he posses with pencil and paper. Granted Doodler probably doesn't need this much detail to make his project start but his artwork shows just how dedicated he is to beginning with something wild and making it wilder.

"Smokin Bandit T/A"
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g..._bandit_ta.jpg

"Movie Notes"
The film made use of three modified black 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am "Special Editions" that were each built according to the required stunt work. All were damaged during the rigors of filming the stunts. The particular car used to jump over the bridge towards the middle of the movie was reportedly totaled doing the stunt. Burt Reynolds and a host of other major movie stars made a sensation of what was supposedly started as a "B Movie" would turn into one of the largest phenoms in Car history making Sheriff Buford T Justice crazy all the while on an interstate chase.

5 ) Only Racing: On The Ragged Edge
"Bullitt Mustang 2010"

I've missed a few but have had a great time watching these competitions go down and wanted to play, below is my addition to the "Movie Cars" contest as a rendering of the Bullitt Mustang poised on Hyde and Lombard Streets In San Fran. Steve McQueen has always been a favorite of mine and though he is gone now, this is my remembrance to him with his "Bullitt Mustang" revitalized for the new body style. I was stunned to know that in the movie posters, the Mustang is barely shown in any of them focusing more on the Chargers.

Only Racing: "Bullitt Mustang 2010"
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ullitt-web.jpg

Click The Link Below To View Artists Large Image And For 1024X768 Wallpaper:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...paper-1024.jpg

Larger Wide Screen Monitor Size 1440 X 960
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t-web-1440.jpg

Click The Link Below To View Artists Large Image And For 1440 X 960 Wallpaper:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...paper-1440.jpg

"Movie Notes"
The Bullitt Mustang is probably best remembered for its car chase scene through the streets of San Francisco, regarded as one of the most influential car chase sequences in movie history. The scenes had Frank Bullitt played by Steve McQueen in a dark "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 CID Fastback, chasing two hit men in a "Tuxedo Black" 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum.

Please stop by and vote, check the movie notes and comments are always appreciated by the members and have fun.

Ford Junkie 04-27-2010 09:21 PM

Hey Doodler that start up sketch is pretty neat! I wouldn't mind seeing more of those along with the finished product.

Fewer entries this month but great job to everyone!!!!!!

Tony

eloc431962 04-27-2010 09:27 PM

Awesome as always :thumbup: Mark i really love what you did with the Bullitt. Doodler love that Smoking Bandit. :thumbup:

Cole

Only Racing 04-27-2010 10:42 PM

You guys are always here to give thanks and I'm sure we as a group appreciate it, this is the fun involved. I thought the same thing about Doodlers work, from sketch to final draft, would probably give away too many of his secrets, but it's an interesting look into his aim for the final piece of comp generated artwork.

I have to admit all the styles represented though small in amounts of people playing, it's a very diverse set of looks. I found mine hard since I lost all my photoshop stuff and uploaded the wrong images but really, It's all in fun and we can be happy we have a new desktop or wallapaper or even an inspiration to work with and maybe give it a shot on your own, no one here is going to flame you for trying, lord knows I am no pro and enjoy the kudo's s much as the critisism. So just playing in a competition with guys on this level makes me a much richer person and

Hotrodders.com makes it easy to do it, flame free.

Doodler 04-28-2010 07:22 AM

Thanks everybody for the compliments! Ford Junkie, Maybe next month I'll toss up the initial sketch along with a hopefully finished product.

dinger 04-28-2010 10:16 AM

One of the many talents I don't have and that is art. You guys are an inspiration and I love this monthly contest. A couple of suggestions, my memory is short though, maybe you've done them already, cartoon cars or maybe Ed Roth style, or both? Only Racing, once again, nice work with the narrative! Dan

IROC100 04-28-2010 10:34 AM

Mark, I'm not a big movie guy, however I was/ am a Steve McQueen fan. You might know this or maybe not, but the Mustang used in Bullit was Steves own personal car and he did all his own stunt driving. On one of the down hill runs he lost his brakes and told the camaraman who was sitting in the backseat to hold on and keep filming. It did make me sick to see that Charger get wreck though. Again great work by everyone. Phil

Only Racing 04-28-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinger
One of the many talents I don't have and that is art. You guys are an inspiration and I love this monthly contest. A couple of suggestions, my memory is short though, maybe you've done them already, cartoon cars or maybe Ed Roth style, or both? Only Racing, once again, nice work with the narrative! Dan

Thanks Dinger about the narrative, I had and still have to write about drag racing all the time but this is always been my passion, I may not be the best at it but I try.

As for the Roth stuff, It's great subject and anyone reading this may want to try it out if they win, there are plenty of examples out there to use, Roth was a HUGE inspiration to alot of us still. We did some Gasers, and similar "Anything goes" at one time but never hurts to revisit it.

Phil, sorry to call you by mistake, lol. I did not know that about the actual driving, I know there was a stunt man involved and the Mustang isn't being shown, wkipedia says the owner has it stored and will not disclose why.

Ford Junkie 04-28-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodler
Thanks everybody for the compliments! Ford Junkie, Maybe next month I'll toss up the initial sketch along with a hopefully finished product.

Don't want you to give away too many secrets but the finished products are amazing going from a scetch to comp. gen finish.

Mark I have to support you guys as I look forward to every month's contest.
The variety of styles and finished products is amazing most would think a certain style would appeal more but if you stop and look at each image and think of the effort that went into them then you realize style of the image does not figure in near as much as what the finished product actually shows.

Some of the things you guys do sticks in my brain and hopefully when I finally build my mid-life crisis ride I can incorporate some of the design stuff in.

Keep up the great work,
Tony

Only Racing 04-28-2010 10:46 PM

Tony, when I spoke to Doodler, "Dan" on the phone, I had to mention to him one of the things working with comp graphics that these guys know well is making curved lines with a few different tools, forty has this down pat and we all know grafixxman is killer at it.

I commented to him that in his artwork, I rarely find a straight line, his always have bends in them, believe me I've tried unsuccesfully to master this. It takes time and patience, Doodler has it figured out for sure.

I know there are ways all of you could draw an image and have it be fantastic, all it takes is an image and a window with daylight. An old way but early print designers did this for marketing of appliances using a light table.

Only Racing 05-02-2010 03:46 AM

Congrats to Brickyardboy, winning this months contest for the Hotrodders.com April "Movie Cars" anything goes !!

Brickyard, choose a topic or subject and we'll run with it ASAP !!

Doodler 05-02-2010 08:10 AM

Congrats Brickyardboy! Very nice rendering.

brickyardboy 05-02-2010 08:12 AM

Thanks, Mark, and Doodler. Great work, guys, by the way! I'm hoping that it hasn't been done, but what about strictly fifty's lead sleds? Doesn't have to be a Merc or Ford, but any of the chopped, channeled, slammed 50's cars that could be considered a "lead sled". My second choice would be "wild customs". Make your own, let your imagination run wild, and anything is fair game.

57Corvette 05-02-2010 11:09 AM

Congrats on the win Bill, really a great effort. Nice work by all and hopefully, we will get more people involved this month.

brickyardboy 05-02-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57Corvette
Congrats on the win Bill, really a great effort. Nice work by all and hopefully, we will get more people involved this month.

Thanks, Bob. It would be great if more would participate. I know there's loads of talent that frequents this forum.