Voting Starts Now May Hotrodders,com Art Contest "50's Lead Sleds" Anything Goes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Voting Starts Now Hotrodders May Art Contest "50's Lead Sleds"
1 ) evil dead: Buick Lead Sled 0 0%
2 ) fortypickup: 1950 Ford, Slammed, Chopped, And Channeled "Lead Sled" 5 23.81%
3 ) 57Corvette : Golden Buick Lead Sled "Twilight" and Merc Lead Sled Old Skool "Gassin Up" 6 28.57%
4 ) brickyardboy: Massive Olds Custom "Lead Sled" 5 23.81%
5 ) johnnyjalopy: Rat Rod "Lead Sled" 3 14.29%
6 ) Only Racing: Buick Retro Rod "Lead Sled" 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Voting Starts Now May Hotrodders,com Art Contest "50's Lead Sleds" Anything Goes

Last month the Hotrodders.com Art Contest wound up with a first time winner in this talent-fest. Brickyardboy dropped in a wicked scary movie car to top the polling. His choice was between a contest of Roth Style "Rat Fink" or a Full Chopped, Channeled, Sectioned "Lead Sleds Of The 50's", as we had done one similar before the "lead Sleds" got the nod for the subject matter this month and we are again in voting mode with some great artwork by many users we see all the time here and newbies to it. Take any style of art and there is substance to all the work, even if you crayon something, its art and all deserve some fine mentions.

The contest begins now May 26th and ends in 5 days "Memorial Day" to all the vet's out there and the people serving our country with the poll closing automatically and another chance for a winner to choose the subject matter of the next coming contest of June.

Please feel free to Vote, Comment, add anything you like to the polls as the artists worked hard to get some fine artwork involved for new desktops and images to look over and possibly try next contest for inspiration.

Artistís renderings are listed in post order some have more than one and also please make sure to check the larger images from the links below the artistís image to see more detail if there is one, images have been made smaller to make loading faster.

Enjoy Guys and Members !!

Vote Now For The Image You Like By Any Artist:

1 ) evil dead:

Buick Lead Sled:

Member "Evil Dead" enters into the contest as he has before with his own style of making a lead sled different using photo manipulation, chopping, channeling, dropping and subtle touches to refine an image that is already a classic, the total look of the car lends to the idea that less is more but the hints of customization are all over it, mainly his work on the portholes moving them and creating a smoother flow gives this idea some food for thought to would be "sled slammers".

2 ) fortypickup:
Wolf in Hot Rodders upholstery

1950 Ford, Slammed, Chopped, And Channeled "Lead Sled"

When an artist puts up an image and decides it's not going to be his entry, he has something in his drawing pad that will surely make a statement, this he did with the classic Merc "Lead Sled" of the era, this is the optimized version from his graphics chamber of tools. At first glance it almost looks like a photo but closer, it shows his rendering work we have seen him do so well with. The expert channeling, chopping and details make this the ultimate in Merc sled work. the colors blast out as a ruby red with custom flames and a hint of sparkles that relay the flake that may be in the paint, the Bonneville flats caps have the smooth reflections of the proper use of color to create the real chrome effect, browns, blues and touches of burnt oranges make this work well, the coon tail and frenched in grill area, shaved handles and of course the lakes pipes are all part of the genre', what a nice clean piece of work by this artist.

View The Artists Larger Image Here:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...-lead-sled.jpg

3 ) 57Corvette :
Rat Rod Studios

Golden Buick Lead Sled "Twilight"

A busy man is 57 Corvette, long time member of this contest and winner many times over has shown this image before but has made changes to it and it works even better than it did before, this gorgeous photo manipulation gives this member a chance to use some of the finest blending of color and contrast with that dark "Twilight" look most photographers try to capture in a short time frame. 57 Corvette opens his programs and blends in many images to create just one solid portrait with sharp lines, attention to details, "Notice The Clarity Of The Windows" and the striking bursts of light reflections. Again he tops himself using tools he has with his own style separating most from the norm.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ette-buick.jpg

Merc Lead Sled Old Skool "Gassin Up"
57 Corvettes second entry also has been seen before with the use of the gas station though this time it's a complete composition making more of a motif' or almost a full theme with the gas station taking most of the attention, the flamed Merc in the back getting gassed up is all part of the grand scheme in his artwork not sparing a pixel of unused space, from the highly detailed image, you get the bright stucco or paint of the gas station and the billowing clouds that provide the contrast needed to make it look almost like it has been flashed with a camera for a scene in a movie.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...-lead-sled.jpg

4 ) brickyardboy:
Streetbeasts lawsuit donor

Massive Olds Custom "Lead Sled"

Last months winner Brickyardboy poses another threat with his colored artwork done by hand but this time he has found that "Sweet Spot" of adding movement and even a little lens distortion to make it pop out and bring you closer to the image by simple manipulation and tricks of the eye with horizontal and vertical dimensional proportions to enhance all the aspects and perspective of the subject. Pencil and pen work is hard and Brickyard is honing his skills each time he plays in the contest and adding to this, choosing an Olds for his content seemed like an awesome idea as it's catchy, clear and visually pleasing.

5 ) johnnyjalopy

Rat Rod "Lead Sled"

Our newest player in the game is Johnny Jalopy, his profile says he's from Florida so his idea of a rusty "Lead Sled" may have been from something he has seen in his area where salt and rust wreak havoc on custom cars or he just wanted to make it a no billet style of artwork. Completely hand drawn, his image portrays the Ford Lead Sled featuring a Carson top and all the slamming needed to make it one low slung Mutha. Touches of rust make this seem like a garage find that will soon be coming to a body shop or driven with pride at any cruise time, a double plus for his artistic touches to make this drawing stand out for a first timer to the contest. Welcome.

6 ) Only Racing
On The Ragged Edge
Streetbeasts lawsuit donor

Buick Retro Rod "Lead Sled"

My addition to the contest was a rendering I did back awhile ago for the long and low contest, though I feel it's not fair to re-enter this without modifying it more, I lost the original PSD so it's just the same thing as before. I envisioned a sled based on the Buick and the T-Type or Grand National with a Smokin 572 crate, twin 88mm turbo's hanging off the engine and intercooled relieving the estimated 900 digital electronic fuel injected horsepower to a bagged suspension backed by a 6 speed manual trans to a narrowed Fab 9 sheetmetal rear and full black / grey tweed interior with carbon fiber accents instead of chrome. Adding on the massively deep Torque Thrusts and low profile tires give it a stance. This was all done using simple Photoshop selection tool, shapes, gradients, airbrush and styles, I'm hoping some of you may try it and join in !!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...uick_large.jpg

Enjoy Guys, Voting Ends Memorial Day, Please Remember them !!

Advertisement

Last edited by Only Racing; 05-26-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: bolding text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

All of the entries are amazing. It gets harder and harder to pick just one! You all should win.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
All of the entries are amazing. It gets harder and harder to pick just one! You all should win.
IMO, Valkyrie we all do, it's just a bunch of guys trying our hand at this, it's all fun and we all win in this, good point sir.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
3Deuce Speedshop

Last photo:

Nice work everybody! Extremely hard choice for me, and although I picked 1, there was (and still) a lot of second guessing and mind changing. I have a feeling that this is going to come down to the very end again.

I just love the fact that we have so many different types of media used in these.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Awesome job from everyone . I just love what you guy's can do .

Cole
Old 05-29-2010, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

Aww, Zero votes? I knew the portholes would have looked better lined up with the spindle, and then I could have pancaked the hood, sectioned the body, brought the rear end to the pavement and,... and .......and...

Seriously though, great show everyone, I had fun with this one and look forward to trying my hand at the next challenge.

Last edited by evil dead; 05-29-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Wolf in Hot Rodders upholstery

Last journal entry: Tail light issues
Last photo:

Great job everyone! Nice work this month!

Welcome aboard Johnny, nice to see you over here!

Neal
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

Way to go guys top shelf job from every one again. Makes choosing difficult when there is such good talent involved.

Tony
Old 05-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

Great job for everyone. It was hard to choose but choose I did. I really wanted to get in this one however time just wasn't on my side. The buicks hold a special spot in my heart since this will be my next car to build and I was looking for some ideas and I did get some, thanks guys. Phil
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Wow, a tight race with the top three, it's anyones game now, again, alot of fun and missed all of the regulars. But this one surely is a winner.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
missed all of the regulars. But this one surely is a winner.
Yep new talent showing and a few missed out on this one........Still a great job by every one.

Tony
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Brickyards bangin lately, It's tough to get past true drawing skills, all of us have done it or would like to do it, and leaving out long learning curves for programs a set of markers, pens pencils still stands out in all of the members eyes.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Not to take anything away from any of the talented artists, It is my opinion that an "art" contest should be limited to hand drawing with crayons, markers, pencils, brushes and an airbrush. As beautiful as the fine images that are computer generated appear, They just don't have that hand drawn appeal to me. Great job guys - Looking forward to next months contest .
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 4 Door
Not to take anything away from any of the talented artists, It is my opinion that an "art" contest should be limited to hand drawing with crayons, markers, pencils, brushes and an airbrush. As beautiful as the fine images that are computer generated appear, They just don't have that hand drawn appeal to me. Great job guys - Looking forward to next months contest .
I'll definately agree with that, some programs are automated on a comp but a month or so ago "Doodler" added one of his sketches he did prior to geting it on the computer and it did extremely well in the members eyes.

I think the biggest challenge for guys doing hand drawing is getting into media they can upload, taking pictures of paper is actually really hard if the light isn't right, scanning leaves a little to be desired in quality most of the time too.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

BTW guys, there's a first ever three way tie going on, have been tie's before but never with three artists, congrats to all of you for a tough voting chioce. Three distinct different media's.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.