VW Brakes Stuck...help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

VW Brakes Stuck...help

my 1970 beetle's brakes are stuck...

the pedal is jammed at the top so idk whats wrong..

and its one of the few things i have no idea where it is ..

master brake cylender..

help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

VW Brakes

Hay Stuck. When was the last time you actually used the brakes to stop the car ? The master cylinder is near the bottom of the car under the gas tank and behind the L.F. tire and wheel assembly.Having said that, the brake pedal assembly is on the floor inside the car may need to be oiled. The assembly is made of white metal and steel (corrosion) is a big factor here. Get back to me with more information. Lapu.You may have applied the brakes and caused this by blowing out a brake line and jamming the piston inside the master cylinder at its most forward position. (more corrosion).The master cylinder and wheel cylinders are readily available out there, especially if you are in the USA>
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapu
Hay Stuck. When was the last time you actually used the brakes to stop the car ? The master cylinder is near the bottom of the car under the gas tank and behind the L.F. tire and wheel assembly.Having said that, the brake pedal assembly is on the floor inside the car may need to be oiled. The assembly is made of white metal and steel (corrosion) is a big factor here. Get back to me with more information. Lapu.You may have applied the brakes and caused this by blowing out a brake line and jamming the piston inside the master cylinder at its most forward position. (more corrosion).The master cylinder and wheel cylinders are readily available out there, especially if you are in the USA>

the car is being restored .. so its brakes were last used in 1988

lol

and search me in the forums.. and join in on my Can Volkswagens Be Hotrodded forum
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 PM
need strog32 chevy front doors

Last journal entry: Tbd
Last photo:

Been there done that. Your restoring it so your going to have to replace all the brake components . Wheel cylinder 4 of them 20 each. brake shoes and components. maybe the backing plate. mastercylinder new $40. brake lines.$30 and the rubber brake lines. 30 or so. Its a must to do all of this. Brakes are an important thing.

the toughest or most work that you will have trouble with is getting to the rear brake shoes. You have to remove the axle nut which requires alot of torque. You will need a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a long (4 ft) pipe onn the end in order to turn this.
while you get the drum off you might as well ***** the bearings replace them if needed ($30 for set) annd grease them.

about the stuck brakes.

you abviously want to free the breaks in order to move it into and out of your garage so.

Block the car up with something so it doesnt roll on you... crawl under the car and look at the back side of the wheel where the cv shaft comes out of the tranny and into the wheel. In your look near the wheel drum you will see a backing plate.(same diameter as the drum) there will be two holes in witch are there for adjusting the brake shoes. use a frash light . and a flat head screw driver and loosing the stars looking things. (do this by inserting flat head into the holes where the stars are. ) I forgot wheither its up or down. but try it out. skirt some penetrating oil in the holes the night before.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Been there done that. Your restoring it so your going to have to replace all the brake components . Wheel cylinder 4 of them 20 each. brake shoes and components. maybe the backing plate. mastercylinder new $40. brake lines.$30 and the rubber brake lines. 30 or so. Its a must to do all of this. Brakes are an important thing.

the toughest or most work that you will have trouble with is getting to the rear brake shoes. You have to remove the axle nut which requires alot of torque. You will need a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a long (4 ft) pipe onn the end in order to turn this.
while you get the drum off you might as well ***** the bearings replace them if needed ($30 for set) annd grease them.

about the stuck brakes.

you abviously want to free the breaks in order to move it into and out of your garage so.

Block the car up with something so it doesnt roll on you... crawl under the car and look at the back side of the wheel where the cv shaft comes out of the tranny and into the wheel. In your look near the wheel drum you will see a backing plate.(same diameter as the drum) there will be two holes in witch are there for adjusting the brake shoes. use a frash light . and a flat head screw driver and loosing the stars looking things. (do this by inserting flat head into the holes where the stars are. ) I forgot wheither its up or down. but try it out. skirt some penetrating oil in the holes the night before.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 AM

Last photo:

Might just be some rust where the pedal pivots, down at the bottom. Kinda like freeing a rusted engine, hose it down with some type of penetrant or light oil, and shove the pedal back and forth a few times. It probably won't move, so repeat on a daily basis. It should free up a little by little.

But replace the hydraulic parts anyway, because they're shot by now from sitting around for so long.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM

VW Brakes Stuck...help

Well not too Up Stage any one here . But letts say we just crack a bleeder valve . <<, see if it will go back down ?? <<< Gently !!! If Doesnt work ?

Crack the line that goes from master cylinder too the wheel's . See if it will go back down .

Ifn that doesnt work ? On backing plate's . Theres 2 Adjuster Holes . << Might have Black pluggs in them . But Pull Pluggs . Give the Star adjusters a quick squirt of WD-40. <<Not a Saturated squirt . But just a Short Good Blast .

Then try too back the Adjuster Stars off . While workin the Tires back and forth . <<< May or May not Be able Too . But dont Strip Star's out trying too back it work .

Most Probable Cause of this , is a inncorrectly adjusted Master cylinder Push Rod . This allows the Piston in the Master Cylinder too be shoved either all way intoo the bottom of it's Cylinder hole .

Or the piston is froze in the top of the cylinder . Or the brakes have rusted too the drumm's <<< Due too improperly adjusted Master cylinder push rod .

Vw Brakes . <<<<< Not uncommon for the Novice or Experienced Chevy mechanic , too have too rebuild entire brake system . Have them work , for 3 mos. or less . Then Suffer Brake failure Again . <<< This is common place !

I get Guy's in here all the Time wantin 4 Disc brake conversion's . Vw Brake's Suck . << Dont last ?? I rebuilt them Twice in 6 mos. Etc. Etc. I Was commin down the Mnt My Vw brake's got soft, and spongy . In fact the Brake Fade , was so badd that they Gott Hott , and melted too the Drumm !!!

Well I dont know what ta tell ya ! Date Skinnier Chick's ! Or fix the brake's right !

Vw brake's are the Simplest brake system there is ! With the Exception of The But Clause ? <<< Mean's ya gotta know the secret,s ! Yeah us Vw Guy's were a special Club ! From Cheap too Sheik !

Most common mistake's made on Vw Brake's >>> The MC adjuster rod, On master cylinder . <<, Factory sett adjustment . << If it is not adjusted properly Will Cause MC failure . Usual here, on new MC installation, is Rear Brakes quit workin, after 3 mos. or less ! The Piston getts Stuck etc. << Has too be right amount of travel Etc.

Be whole lott more on MC Rod adjustment when you get there . << Manual wont tell you nothin . Except it's a Factory Adjustment at I think .020 thous free play . << Wont help You ! When you get there I will tell you how too re - produce the factory setting !

Other Common mistake is the Adjusters in the Drumm . << The slotts that hold the shoe , are Angled . << Have too be turned right !

And still another common mistake. This is one , of the most fatal mistake's made in Vw brake's >>> Painted drumm's !

If you paint your Vw brake drumm's with VHT type sealing paint . VHT <<< pretty much covers all spray can paint like >. Engine paint , Krylon , Dupont or Dupli colour , Barbeque paint . With in a month too a year . Dependin on how Gravity challenged your G/f is ? You will be rebuildin your entire brake system , again .

Provided , your still around too rebuild your brake's ? <<, Kinda depend's on Just how Fatt your G/f really is ?

Painting Vw Drumm's with VHT paint's seal's the Heat in . Vw drumm's are Small Thin etc . Ive seen Guy's Come down off Big bear Mountain . << very twisty windy , Steep road 35 Mile Jaunt . But Ive seen VW brake's Smoke like a Big Rigg 18 Wheeler , Commin down Tehachapi Mountain . In fact you can lose your brake's , Directly due too this ! Will litterally melt the shoe too the drumm .

Melt the Shoe , Melt the Wheel cylinders . Smoke Pourin out ! Thing About it is You will never Realize your mistake ! Or that theres a Problem ? Until your Commin down a Twisty , Steep, 2 Laned Mountain Road . Start gettin a Lil brake Fade , Lil Spongy ! Wheel cylinder , give's out . Woooossshhhh Straight too the floor ! << No funn ! E Brake on Hot melted shoe's ? <<< Even les fun !

Vw guy's in the Know only Paint there brake drumm's with Non Sealing Flatt black primer ! You can use Dupont or Dupli Colour engine paint on the out side of the Backin plate . But dont use it on the drumm itself .

Very Minnimum guy's runnin around with High Gloss painted drumm's . Cant figure out why there brake shoe's need replacement , every 2 month's ?
These guy's are usually flatt lander's , with small motor's etc. Never gettin the Hard down hill runn's at High Brakeing speed's etc.

Now On subject of Flatt black Paint ! << Were gonna be gettin intoo a Lott of Flatt Black primer . I like Krylon Primer ! << What I use !

But be -aware that Vw's need Special Attention . when it comes too painting the Drive train componant's ! Especially on the Engines ! You use VHT or fail too Paint certain thing's with Flatt black primer . <<< Like piston Jugg's on Engine rebuild's .

It will result In negative , affect's on your Car . Like Brake's that gett Hott commin down Steep Mnt grade's etc . Or cylinders that Runn 70 % hotter , goin up the mountain !

So dont paint nothin until you ask , Somebody in the Know ! Dont think of your Vw as a Chevy or a Ford , or even a Car ! It's more like an Air plane ! With 4 wheel's . It's a specialty Vehicle !

As too Wheel bearing's ! Who said 30 Buck's ??/ yeah On swing arm transaxle's ?? 1970 is 2nd year IRS . Unless Canadian ? <<< Who really know's what a Cannuck Is anyhow ?

Dont attempt too do wheel bearing's or C.V. joint's untill you go over it with a Knowledgeable Vw Guy in the know ! << whole other can of Worm's !

Yipp ! Involve's, More secret's ! Vw's is a Very Exclusive Club ! We like are Lil secrets ! 3/4's of the Bugg's reborn again are reborn again wrong ! << That's a fact ! Average Chevy Guy Get's intoo a Vw . Rebuild's Somethin ? 3 mos. down road it quit's workin again !

These guy's typically think Im greatest Chevy mechanic ever lived ? Couldnt be I did somethin Wrong ? It must be the Car ! There Junk !

Yipp Same guy's who join the Bugg Suck's Club ! Then after 3 Beer's start tellin wild storie's about Porsche motor's in Vw's !

Vw's are different ! Pay attention ! There a go for what you know Enviroment ! With an extreme Buyer Be- Ware Programm !

Sean

Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

hah i weigh a little over 100lbs.. and i dont date anyone bigger than me (most girls in the 9th grade or 8th).

haha
Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 PM

vw brakes stuck...help

Yeah we get brakes unstuck ?

Im In middle of Remodeling a Kitchen , And Installing a New Dell computer . Might not be in here for a few Day's > Just Dont think I abandoned you ?

Not Gonna get ridd of me that Easily .

100 Lbs ? Yeah thats good Racin weight for Vw's ! Lighter is Better , When come's Too Vw's . Also when it Comes too Chick's ? Lighter is almost alway's better ?

Dont mention it ? You can thank me Later for the Great advice On Chick's ?

9 th grade ? Yeeeessshhhhh I dont even remember the 9 th grade ?
Wich is why I cant Do Calculous in my Head .
Or Type on Computer Key board's
Or spell correctly ?
Or cohmprehend , what I read in a motor's manual ?
Or Figure Compression Ratio's on Scratch paper ?
Or Figure Displacement , Bore and Stroke ?
Or know that 180 Degrees is 1/2 a circle ?
Or make enough money that I might wanna use some of these pre amentioned skill's I cant do, too actually build a, really nice Car .
Pay attention ! That stuff your Learnin right now that you think your never Gonna use ? Yeah , You will be usin it someday !

In fact it will be required ! And goin back too school too learn what , you didnt learn first time ? Isnt gonna be an option ?

Math <<< Kill's me every time ! Lott's of Math in Car's !

Readin <<<< Cant cohmprehend what the Motor's manual's say ? Your gonna be hateing it !

History <<<< What civilization , first Used the Camm and Crank in a mechanical Fashion , along with Hydraulic's , Grade's and Elevation's ?

Pay attention , Cause you need at least a basic Understanding , of this stuff too Build Car's ! Garages , Houses , Even too figure Gear ratio's on Bicycles ?

Speakin of Gear ratio's . Do you know what, a typicall Gear ratio is between the Camm and Crank ? Your Teacher Doe's and he dont even turn wrenche's ? I bett !

Sean
Old 02-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

A couple of things that I saw posted...first is that cam/crank gear ratio, in a 4 stroke engine it is always 2-1. The brakes which may be toasted after such a period may only be part of the problem. The pedal assembly ,because of it's location, often freezes on it's pivot. It is easily removed by the 2 bolts that hold the complete pedal cluster in the tunnel. The clutch and throttle cables are easily unhooked after the bolts are removed. This is a very common problem in VWs that get less than regular use. It also makes sense to free the pivot and lube it so if the master cylinder is bad that pivot will allow it to work correctly when replaced.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

we got the pedal unstuck

it moves to the bottom.. kinda hangs up commin to the top

but the pedal is free

now..

the cylender idk about

but ill have to check tomorrow

i'm workin monday-fridays.. 2:30-6:00(unless i have a day off from school.. i work OT)

and only and work on the car sat,sundays..

but the good thing about it is ... its payin for the car

to OEM restore it.. i can make the money in about 3 months..

to restore it the way i want to..

(lowrider)... about 6months.. approx $2K
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

hah ..... hah. .... by the looks of it. it seems that your going to have alot of patching to do.

good luck with adjusting the torsion bars.

I think you would have better luck posting on thesamba.com
Old 02-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy

hah ..... hah. .... by the looks of it. it seems that your going to have alot of patching to do.

good luck with adjusting the torsion bars.

I think you would have better luck posting on thesamba.com
yeah i know..
it'll be hard..

lol
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Vw brakes stuck ...help

Samba.com ??? Im hurt even ! As too VHT Paint on drumm's ? Go intoo samba.com ask Johl Mohr of Mohr performance , or Clyde Berge , Or any knowledgeable Vw guy in the Know .
They will tell you the same thing . Im tellin ya .

As too Greasin the pivot pinn ? <<< Why not just rebuild the pedal assembly entirely . Ive never seen a Bugg yett didnt need a pedal assembly rebuilt !
7 buck's for new clutch shaft . << Usually will do it on few occasion's find one needs new Bushings pressed in . But the usual here is just new shaft with a beeefier clutch hook . <<, Your gonna need a step by step on this .

Simple as it is ? Has it's secret's !

Yeah kinda why im in here tho ? Lookin too do somethin beside's Badd Bugg's ! Kinda burnt out on 25+ Years of Volkswagen's !

In fact all braggin aside ? Anyone who has memorized the Spaghetti, wireing system of the T-1 bugg in it's entirety . Really need's a new Hobby !

Photo you need too start on your Pann <<< Pann resto first ! Gett it up in shape , every thing a workin , stripped, painted, re- under coated .

Lott's of scrapeing with a knife ! <<, as in scrape off what you can. << will save you work, in the long runn .

I can see by the Photo's that on the one car the Battery box is Toasted . <<, Dont stress it Typical Bugg . 20 buck's will buy a replacement pann .
Dependin on how badd cancer is , Determines if it has too be hand fitted ? Or have whole 1/4 pann replaced .

As too scrapeing battery Box out . I use Scotch brite green padd's and water first . << Meaning you dont wanna breathe the dust .

You need a stash box ! <<< Start fillin it up with Scotch brite green padds << Like one's Mom uses in the Kitchen << There better than Napa Purple padd's . But Napa purple is good for body work .

But when it comes too engines? Need mom's Green Scotch brite padd's . << Nothin else work's as Good .

Need coupla Cases of Carb cleaner . <<< Wal mart ! .96 cent's a can ! Stuff is dangerous . <<, absolutley use eye protection ! But cant have enough Carb Spray ! <<, Good for every thing !

Carb spray is Good for, Every thing >> Carb's / Cleanin Cases / removeing paint in small area's / part's cleanin in general / thread cleaner / Dog Do, Do, stain remover / First aide Disinfectant / Even snake bite ! << I use it for every thing !

Absolutely do not get it in your eye's ! <<< Hurt's like Hell ! Will make you think your E.R. Bound ! Stuff will make you scream and kick like a lil girl !
It has never putt me in the E.R. ? Ive takin more than Few blast too the eye ball ?

Ok tell you this Solex Carb << Spray the throttle pump hole out ! Carb spray goes in side the carb . Doe's a U- turn Spitt's directly back in your face . << Happen's every time, on solex carb's ! << My kidd did this ! First time he ever experienced Carb spray in the Eye !

He dropped Carb , Grabbed his face , rann down the drive way , out intoo the street . Dropped on his knee's holding his face . Then Wailed like a Lil Girl at the top of his lung's ! <<, In front of the Neighbour's on Sunday mornin !

Hurt's that Badd ! Be carefull with Carb Spray ! Wear safety Glasses ! Solex Bugg carb's <<< Notorious for nailin you in the eye every time !

Other thing's you need in your Box , Wire wheel's from Harbour Freight ! Coupla Grinding Stone's ! Flatt black Krylon Primer ! <<< Never have enough of that . Work on at least a case of Flatt black Krylon primer !

Other Product's you will need >>. Aviation permatex <<< Make sure it's Aviation .
Orange High temp silicone <<, Not too be confused with the Red, High temp silicone ! There's a Difference ! It matter's !

Also Loctite >>> Buy Loctite brand ! Be careful of Permatex Look alike Brand ! <<, These guy's give no Spec's that I know of On there Loctite ! << I dont use it . >>> Loctite brand only . 1 Bottle of Red 1 Bottle of Blue ! Loctite brand it matters !

Gland nut on the Flywheel too crank ! <, 253 Ft Lbs On some application's can be Torqued Twice that . <<< Needs Loctite brand Loctite ! Nothin else But ! It's the Life of Your Motor ! Dont trust it too Permatex Look alike with no Specification's ??

You said you had Good Sett Of head's ? Clean um up ! Find a Private Desk in your Room ! sett um on your Desk ! << Lott's of thing's you can do too head's ! Improve Cooling And Flow ! Takes Hour's of Bench work ! <<, Thing's you can do late at Night , or when it's freezeing Cold .

Sean
Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

i want a badd bug

and autostick isnt in a badd bugg
haha

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.