Hot Rod Forum banner

VW/Dune Buggy Steering

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hp246 
#1 ·
I am rebuilding a late 60s early 70s Dune Buggy based a a VW. Best i can determine, the motor is a 69, no other numbers on the frame.

I want to title it so it can be driven on the road. That means horns, signals, etc. When I dug into the steering it looked just plain dangerous. Steering wheel held in place by 3 machine screws (no nut), base of column attached with a plastic wafer to a connector that was connected to the steering box with a cross drilled bolt. The end of the shaft does not appear to have any splines.

Anyone have any knowledge of these? What parts will I need to make this right?

#3 ·
vw buggy

I've built a few buggies over the years. The steering shaft has a notch that the bolt fits thru, no splines on the old ones. Most buggy steering wheels are aftermarket and the three bolts hold the steering wheel to an adapter that should have a nut holding it to the top end of the shaft. There are a few Vw and dune buggy sites with a lot of info. One I check occasionally is Samba.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Since I couldn't sleep last night, I did some more research. One of the things that worried me the most is that there are only 3 machine screw that hold the steering wheel in place. No nut as timothale referred to. Looks like IDIDIT has a column that would work perfect as a replacement, and is reasonable compared to what I'm seeing online to used VW stuff. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.