Wagner master cyl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wagner master cyl

Trying to find a replacement for my MC that's leaking at the pushrod area(Wagner dual reservoir FF100382 - not sure if the FF is a misstamp). Can't seem to find it on the internet.

Any info on this mc or a suitable replacement would be appreciated.

Here's my setup - '31 Ford coupe, MC located under the floor, disc/drum setup with Camaro discs up front. There is no residual or proportioning valves in the system. Maybe the Wagner MC has a residual but I don't know. I have had no braking issues even though everything I read says I should have a 10 and 2 lb residual plus a proportioning valve.

Since the brakes have worked fine (and still do except for the leak I noticed) I figure with the same or similar MC I shouldn't have to add any of those valves to the system.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I'd reccomend switching to a more common master cylinder... Wagner M/C's are getting very hard to find ( as is most Wagner brake parts ) and most just rebuild the 1 they have
Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Last photo:

Replace that sucker with a 67-69 Corvette master cylinder. Get a new one, brakes are someting I never use rebuilt components on. The Vette master cylinder can be had in all disc, or disc/drum configuration.

Vince
Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Matt and Vince
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

don't throw out the Wagner tho.. being there not made new, if it's good enough for a rebuild it's probably worth somthing to someone.. lots of AMC's used the Wagner brake parts.. not sure what that cylinder crosses to but it's probably somthing AMC
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Matt, I'm going to look for a rebuild kit for the Wagner. Don't know whether I'll rebuild it or switch to the one Vince suggested. Do you know where I might get a rebuild kit for the Wagner?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

most likely any good auto parts store could get the rebuild kit for it.. but they won't be able to go by the M/C numbers. so you will need to tie the M/C to a vehicle most likely, which as said before, is probably some kind of 1960's AMC.. Rebel, Ambassador and Americans all were optioned with Wagners as better brakes, and it would be a drum/drum master cylinder if it is an AMC unit, I'm 90% positive all AMC disc/ drum varaitions used Bendix brakes.. it would be easier and just about as cheap to buy the corvette master which is what 90% of manual under floor dual M/C setups run
Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

OK Matt, thanks. I'll hold on to the old one and take your and Vince's advice and get that new MC.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The Wagner MC wasn't an "option" for better brakes. It was just used on certain models. Only the 65 and 66 Americans equipped with the 232 six used a Wagner setup (smaller sixes and V-8s used Bendix), all 58-69 six cylinder Series 10 cars (58-60 Rambler Six, 61-66 Classic, 67-69 Rebel) used Wagner brakes. All other AMC models used Bendix brakes.

AMC used outside suppliers for some things (like brakes -- but not that many parts) so kept standing orders from at least two different ones through most of the 60s. That way if one had a problem they already had a purchasing agreement with another -- eggs in two baskets instead of one. They just had to buy a certain volume from the secondary supplier to keep business, so the "alternate" part was usually used on a specific model. AMC still made the majority of their own parts, they just bought a few systems from others -- electric and ignition systems, transmissions, carbs, steering boxes and columns, and brakes were the only major parts they purchased.

AMC started phasing this practice out by 1970. Apparently someone decided that the suppliers were big and robust enough that two weren't needed or the secondary supplier went out of business (in the case of Wagner brakes, at least in the US). I was going to add that production had dwindled, but AMC was still building a good many cars in the early 70s, especially the Hornet and Gremlin. Production of the big cars had slowed, but was still healthy for a few more years, until the mid to late 70s.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Frank, not that it really matters in this discussion but aren't you missing my little 59 American?

GMR if you really want to find that one check out my thread in the "hotrodding basics" forum on finding parts in the specification books at the parts store. You may be surprised to find at what you find.

I just bought a new master for my Rambler on ebay for $35.

Brian
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Yes, I missed the early Americans entirely! Looks like they used the Wagner MC 58-60, Bendix after that except for the 65-66 oddball.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.