Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Walking foot needle feed questions
View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
DanTwoLakes DanTwoLakes is offline Moderator
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 67
Posts: 6,604
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 363 Times in 312 Posts
What you are looking for is an industrial compound feed machine with alternating presser feet, and hopefully reverse. Reverse is not necessary, but sure is nice to have. Compound feed means there is more than one feeding system, and they are usually needle feed and drop feed. Needle feed means the needle pulls the work through the machine, and drop feed incorporates feed dogs to push the work through the machine.

Alternating presser feet means the foot you have on the machine is in two parts on two separate shafts. One part of the foot holds the work down until the other part of the foot is ready to index the work, and then they trade positions, one up and the other down. The part of the foot that is indexing is called a vibrating presser foot, commonly referred to as a walking foot.

No, you can't deactivate the needle feed, and you wouldn't want to. The needle feed in conjunction with the drop feed simply means the machine can handle thicker work which will go through the machine easier. This type of machine will handle anything you want to do and more, and is one of the reasons why it is referred to as an industrial sewing machine.

Read this thread:CLICK HERE If you have more questions, just ask.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-08-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote