Hot Rod Forum banner

Walmart 3 ton floor jck

10K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Eric63M 
#1 ·
Hopefully, this is the right place to post this?
I bought a 3 ton floor jack ( made in China )from Walmart about 8 months ago. After jacking the car up, I started to place the the jack stands under it. The jack made a cracking sound and started dropping...slowly. To make a long story short, I took it back, no sales slip, and low and behold, they gave me a new one!! No hassle of any kind! Reminded me of Sears, in regards, to their craftsman tools. Except, I didnt get a rebuilt jack back but a new one. Atta-boy to Walmart..

#28 ·
Good luck with the New Jack.

Hopefully this one will last a year or more and dosn't collapse while your working under it before you cant get the jack stands set up. I have no idea where my jacks are made, so I won't rag on japan or China, or even Mexico since thats where they are most likely from.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

#29 ·
USA for us

Hey, we live in US. We lost many job by Clinton signed all good can make from other countries (specially China). Most China made products are bad because cheap labor and cheap non-quality materials. That why their products alway cheaper. Spend little more money to buy Made in USA, you will see what is the difference.

#30 ·
I personally would love to buy ALL "Made IN USA" tools, but I cant afford it. If I only bought tools made here, my toolbox and my garage walls (pegboard) would be pretty empty.

Ive been a working stiff all my life (BLUE collar like Springsteen always pretended to be), and my paychecks dont go far after bills, house payment, car payment, etc (same as most of you). I buy Craftsman tools, and I also buy HF stuff. I buy what I can afford, to keep my "old" American vehicles running and on the road. If that takes buying a HF floor jack for 100.00 vs buying a "Made In The USA" floor jack for 300.00, well, I gotta have a jack and I cant afford 300.00 for one, so I buy the HF jack.

American tool companies (the few that are left) find it hard to compete with the imported tools brought here by HF, et al. The American tool buyer is looking for value. Some of them, like myself, see the value in a tool made to last, vs a tool made cheaply, but cant afford the former, so they buy the latter to get a job done. I know thats why I have most of my import tools.

AFA tool safety, come on, there has to be some personal responsibility and/or some common sense applied here. If someone cant see a problem getting under a vehicle held up by a small cheap jack or a spindly set of jackstands and not redundantly supported by some other solid object, then maybe the law of natural selection would apply?

Mike

#31 ·
I've had the same jack give out while lifting the front of my durango, only my experience was a little worse. The legs actually twisted, didn't bother taking it back. Don't trust it anymore. I was in the process of putting the jack stands under it when it happened. Greatest part of my military training kicked in fast, hit the ground and hit it fast. Be careful with it, and never trust it again.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.