Want a 94 Amp 12SI Alternator For A '71 SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Want a 94 Amp 12SI Alternator For A '71 SBC

I have been doing research and have found that the 12SI came in several amp capacities. We are upgrading our '71 Monte Carlo's alternator and have decided on the 94 amp 12SI.
But I do not know the exact year/make/model of an '83 or later year that used this alternator, which would also bolt right on to the existing 350 SBC alternator mounting we have.
Can anyone help me out?
jogasz28

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogasz28
I have been doing research and have found that the 12SI came in several amp capacities. We are upgrading our '71 Monte Carlo's alternator and have decided on the 94 amp 12SI.
But I do not know the exact year/make/model of an '83 or later year that used this alternator, which would also bolt right on to the existing 350 SBC alternator mounting we have.
Can anyone help me out?
jogasz28
As most alt. brackets are adjustable on one end, I don't think you have to worry about year. If you are, take yours down with you when you get yours. If ordering on phone ask the sales person if year makes a differance. I have an older 350, and put a bigger one on I just ordered it and year never came up.

Bob
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
As most alt. brackets are adjustable on one end, I don't think you have to worry about year. If you are, take yours down with you when you get yours. If ordering on phone ask the sales person if year makes a differance. I have an older 350, and put a bigger one on I just ordered it and year never came up.

Bob
Appreciate the reply.
But my research indicates the 12SI came in in several amp ratings.
How do I make sure I'm getting the 94 amp 12SI alternator?
jogasz28
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

I just found this Delco info from:

http://bobsgarage.110mb.com/gm/gm_2.html

3:00 o'clock, Delco #1101308 / 321-266 / 7294-3
For a 84 Chevy Camaro HiPo 5.0L (305G) 94amp

I don't know what the /321-266/7294-3 means.

Opinions?
jogasz28
Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

I thought the 10si and 12si were identical as far as mounting goes. The 12si had better cooling ability because of the fan pulley type and a little lip on the front of the case that directed air through it more precisely. I could be wrong though

Ive also read numerous articles through the years that "claim" that alternators bought from an autoparts store are NOT guaranteed to have the correct output as far as amps goes. Unless you can test them yourself you have no exact output rating on those. Again, that might be someones pissed off opinion but I read that 3 times over the years regarding rebuilt alts.

You could just go with an aftermarket alt like Powermaster or other seller and they have 100amp and up. Direct replacement with 3 wire connections that can also be used as 1 wire (I dont recommend using 1 wire though). They all use the original 10si housing, chrome it, and install their own internals. If you can find a 12si aftermarket then thats even better I suppose.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM

The 7294-3 is the Lester Number, which is a general reference number used for types of alternators. The -3 references the 3 o'clock position for the location of the two-wire plug, so you may also have the 7294 parts numbers with -6, -9, etc. You might find this page useful http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/tech/...ators/tech.htm

I bought a 94 amp 7294-3 alternator with a single groove pulley for my '75 SBC, where the alternator is mounted up high on the passenger side. I tried first using the reference for the 84 Camaro, but in a couple of cases the store parts number did not seem to match what I wanted. However, I did find this alternator at Advance Auto Parts
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Alternator---94-Amps-Worldwide_5210283-P_11_R|GRPALTSAMS_539077066____

It may be easier to look up parts numbers and verify that they are the right Lester number. The only catch is that the 7294-3 alternator is available in both v-pulley and serpentine versions, so get one with the right pulley. You will also find that the threads for the tension bolt are metric, so you can't reuse your old bolt. The pivot bolt fits fine because it threads into the block. I also upgraded from the stock 10 gauge charge wire to an 8 gauge wire with a 12 gauge fusible link.

Bruce
Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

After talking to Mark Hamilton from MadElectrical.com, I will probably go with the Powermaster. Mark had high praise for the quality of the Powermaster alternator. He stressed how they use high quality components instead of offshore knockoffs resulting in an extremely reliable alternator.
I was just trying to see if I could find a Delco alternator that would work.
jogasz28
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

If youre going to upgrade, a few dollars more can get the powermaster and at least you know what you got

I just installed a powermaster a month ago and it was like night and day from the stock alt I had on my 86 monte. Even at idle with everything running its outputting more and I think it wasnt much of a price difference for the powermaster. I had to remove the V belt pulley and install the serpentine and that was about it.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.