Hot Rod Forum banner

Want to build 410 FE motor

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ford Junkie 
#1 ·
I am looking for parts info in direction of which block,rods,pistons and any extra machining I might need to do.I already have a 69 428cj crank,from my last project.Can I over bore a 352-390 bock or do I have to use a 428 block?Heads and intake are already taken care of with edelbrock aluminums and an offenhauser high rise dual 4 barrel intake.The motor will probably never see the track,only being insured for 3 months a year.It's a toy truck.Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
paul31888 said:
I am looking for parts info in direction of which block,rods,pistons and any extra machining I might need to do.I already have a 69 428cj crank,from my last project.Can I over bore a 352-390 bock or do I have to use a 428 block?Heads and intake are already taken care of with edelbrock aluminums and an offenhauser high rise dual 4 barrel intake.The motor will probably never see the track,only being insured for 3 months a year.It's a toy truck.Thanks
A 410 is a 390 block with a 428 crank. (4.050 x 3.980). I suspect you could bore a 332 or 352 block 0.050" to the 390 bore and be ok. The biggest problem might be finding affordable pistons.

You also may be able to bore a 390 block 0.080" and make a 428. It would depend on the thickness of the cylinder walls and how much core shift there is in the block. You need a minimum of 0.135" cylinder wall thickness everywhere in the bore after boring and honing to your final dimension to prevent overheating problems (according to Smokey Yunick, who has built a few more motors than either one of us). Sonic check the walls before you do anything else. You'll need to start with 0.175" walls on a virgin 390 block to end up at 0.135" walls with an 0.080" overbore, or 0.160" walls on a 390 block that has already been bored 0.030" or 0.145" walls on a 390 block that has already been bored 0.060".

Anyway, 428 pistons would be easier to find and cheaper I suspect. Here's a link to Ford motor dimensions....
http://www.fordclassics.com/enginespecs.html

#3 ·
While it would be neat to have a 410 FE tech insp. is right pistons will be your major expense as the 410 uses the same rod length as the 390 and 428 (6.486-6.490) in all the listings I can find. This would put the wrist pin height at a different level than the 390 because of the extra stroke. But overall if your not going after a super performance build then off the shelf stock parts may be much cheaper if you can locate them.

Here's another link that gives spec's for the FE's

http://www.mercurystuff.com/fe-engine-specs.html

HTH,
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.