Want to build 500 horse chev 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2002, 12:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Want to build 500 horse chev 454

Well, i am going to build yet another engine and need some advice. It is going to be my fist big block and i want it to scream. The block is .040 over, 4 bolt main, and i have two sets of heads. A set of 454 heads with rod guides already installed, and a bare set of medium chamber 396 heads. can't afford aftermarket heads, but every thing else will be new except for mabey the crank, that is undecided. I'd like a list of what anyone thinks will make 500 hp. Compression ratio, cam grinds, lifters, rockers, pistons, headers, ect. Any help is greatly appricated. oh yeah, Pump gas is the key to this engine.

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: 79monte ]

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: 79monte ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2002, 07:11 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Wink

79 Monte.
This is the best and easiest advice I can give ya. Contact Edelbrock and ask em for the specs on there 454 power package buildup. It will tell you the exact things to do to get like 536 horses out of the motor and still run pump gas. Some of the things like using there chrome water pump or there timing sets isnt really necesarry, you can use any kind of that. I think they suggest there heads, but using yours will work, you will just loose 30 or 40 horses. Email em and ask for a rundown. Goodluck. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 05-25-2002, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

there are a couple of things you need to go fast with a big block. first of all 500 hp is not as easy as it sounds.

the key to making power in a chevy big block is; a roler cam with large lobe seperation. 112-114 duration of arround 260I/270E@.050 check out crower street roler camshafts.. and if your budget allows upgrade to longer rods 6.385, try http://racingsecrets.com/article_racing-10.html)

Bigblocs Rule!!
Old 05-25-2002, 12:50 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

hey 79 monte i just joined this site yesterday.ididnt realize there was a 79 monte, my name is 78 monte im thinkin' if we can get someone called 80 monte we'll have that whole third generation thing goin on. I could change my name to no emmissions & welded spiders(wait,forget i said that) 78 monte
Old 05-29-2002, 12:36 PM

What kind of compression do i need to make that kind of power(iron heads and pump gas). I was told previously large lobe seperation and a roller cam. What kind of lift should i look at and does the block need to be modified for the roller lifters. Also if i use stock rods would upgraded rod bolts solve some strength issues. Oh and hello to 78 monte, I'd like a run down on your car if you don't mind And i was considering speed pro pistons with the coated skirt, any idea how they perform. Thanks for the help guys, i'm stoked about this one, can;t wait to hear it roar.
Thanks again.
79 monte
Old 05-29-2002, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Hey 79monte its 78 monte again.Were my third generation monte & namechange jokes as corny as I think?(Ha Ha) Anyway you asked for a rundown of my car so here it is.Its a 78 pretty plain jane benchseat,vinyl,idiotlights,no cruise model. I put 3.42 gears and welded the spiders(Shh).It has a built th350 w/ shift kit and 2250stall.Headers and duel kit. My existing 350 has an edelbrock intake,holley carb,clevite performance cam.But I just spun a bearing and have another 350 I'm building.Runs low 14s no killer. Trying to go 50state legal been runnin' w/ no inspection. By the way do you Know if rally wheels were an option in 78/79? Good luck w/ the Big Block
Old 05-29-2002, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Oh yeah,Hooker makes 78-87 monte bigblock swap headers Summit sells um 1-800-230-3030

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.