Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - want to build a blown 489 stroker
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Check this site out and you can get a good idea of costs and what is required. You can do it a little cheaper or less expensive if you know exactly what to look for but these guys have done a lot of blower motors.

Big Al's Toybox - Complete Supercharged Engines Since 1989

Most of us have done the home work and created our own versions.

Since you want street only you need low compression 8 to 1 on a bbc, on this motor I use forged crank,rods and pistons, a good ignition, big headers, alum heads, and a mild cam. Use 2 blower carbs with a manifold referenced power valve, I'd use 750 dp 4 corner idle carbs. You won't need a choke even down to 5 deg F. I've run mine even colder with no problems.

Big radiator, double fans with a good shroud. I'd plan on the best starter you can find. A gerotor fuel pump either Mallory or Holley, fuel filter 1/2 in min fuel lines. BDS scoop with air cleaners.

You really don't need a harmonic balancer just a blower hub with external balance for the motor. Use one of the balancer covers and a timing tape...works great. You will need 2 or 3 v belt pulleys for the accessories...alt, water pump, ac and ps.

Plan on a tough trans and about a 3000 stall converter. Any of the OD trans become a problem with the blower motor as the throttle opening per load is very small so getting the TV pressure correct is very hard. An electric OD will be easier as you can program it to work with the motor. Much more expensive however. You will need the correct gears in the rear end depending on tire size and trans.

There is a lot more to it so get the "book" and read up on how the blowers work.