Hot Rod Forum banner

Want to build an SBC on alcohol

16K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  S10 Racer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and hopefully I can get some help here. I'm wanting to build an 355ci or 383ci (not sure which would be better for my goals) on alcohol for a mud truck. I'm looking for something that can handle 8000 rpm and is in the neighborhood of 750hp on methanol and NA. Please help guys. I'm going off of VERY little knowledge of sprint car motors that these numbers are possible. Let me know. But I'm drawing the line at $15,000 on this thing. Lets here the ideas, everything from rotating assy, to heads, cam and grind profiles, and fuel delivery (carb vs hilborn)

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
I've built plenty of engines myself, I'm not about to start taking them to people to build for me. This is why I'm asking, I don't know what heads and ect to run to handle the power and 7500 rpm with an 8-71 and a BBC. Let's forget the money and just talk parts... If it cost more so be it, just want a 7500 rpm 468 BBC with a blower and alcohol and NO LESS THAN 1,000hp

#13 ·
The original intent was 700-750 with an SBC with hilborn injection on alky. I want it to spin 7500-8000 rpm. It's basically a sprint car motor. I just have no clue about heads or valves or anything. Can u help with that? Basically if the 700's aren't possible then I want as much as I can squeeze out of it. What do you think are realistic numbers and parts?

#14 ·
when you figure out what you need,why not start a new thread and say Im using X fuel and need an N.A. or boosted engine? looking for x power? need X rpm,etc and go from there.Explain rpm requirements and if the engine is strictly race,,,just picking a horse power number means nothing to people trying to help.explain (briefly) h.p. torque,rpm requirements etc and get everyone to chip in experience.

#15 ·
I have a friend that has an Ostrich 360 Sprint car motor for sale for 15K. Can probably be had for a touch less. Dynoed at 650 I believe, ready to run. You can search racingjunk.com or hoseheads.com and find plenty of what you are looking for. Keep in mind that all the high reving motors have to use good quality parts to keep them together and even then, they get freshened up after about 20 shows. Word of caution, unless you have lots of money for parts, stay away from the SBC 410 sprint motors. Those things will scream and capable of 900+hp but they are very costly to maintain and need freshened after about 10 shows. Most sprint car motors are built with restrictions for their sanctioning body so with a little work, you can get even more power out of them.
We run a SBC 383 Hilborn Injected on alcohol in our wingless sprint. We run the W.A.R. series here in Missouri so restrictions in that class do not apply. It's more like "run what you brung". Alcohol wants high compression, the more the better. Keep in mind that an alcohol motor is a maintenance nighmare but if you have time to keep it in good working condition, it's worth it because of the x-tra HP. You need to drain the fuel lines, remove the injectors and blow dry all the alcohol out of the system. Alcohol is very corrosive on aluminum and magnesium parts.
I know probably none of this answered your questions but it's an insight to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.