want to change frame HELP................. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

want to change frame HELP.................

Howdy Gents and Ladies,ive just purchased a 1931 cadillac sedan. want to put in new running gear. this is my first RODEO. getting to old for any more.would like to do this one right but inexpensive as possible. WOULD APPREICIATE ANY AND ALL ADVICE AND HELP...THANKS ,RON

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Unless the frame is too rusted to be repaired, the frame the car came with is the best one for it. Most folks here will tell you that it's far easier to update that frame with modern engine, transmission and suspension than it would be to mount the body on a different frame.

This is especially true since, as you say, this is your first rodeo.

The '31 Caddy is an unusual choice for a first-timer. I am very excited to see what you'll do with this car. Please keep us informed on your progress!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Yes, that is an extremely challenging project even for an experienced builder.

There are no kits of any kind for anything on the car. Original parts are VERY hard to come by, the body has a wood structure (likely rotted away), there is nothing easy about it. Building the car will take much, much more work than building a more common 31 Ford model A, I mean a LOT more work.

Without knowing anything about the car, chances are it is also much more valuable than the Model A, maybe it would be better for you to sell it and get something that wouldn't be so challenging?

Tell us more about this car, do you have any photos?

Brian
Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

BUT !!!! The journey is always much more fun then the destiny....
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

caddy frame

I looked an old caddy frame that was under a hay wagon. The frame was massive compared to fords and chevies and looked very strong, AS stated unless it is rusted-rotted out It should work ok. The next step is to determine what you want to build. IFS swap or 50's chevy pickup axle with a disc brake kit. later rear end , power steering etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

When we did my brothers Buick Roadster the Buick frame was counted out right quick, it was about 10 inches tall! We used a 28 Chevy frame instead it was more the 32 Ford size.

Brian
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

There is NO frame made that will fit the 31 Caddy better than the frame Cadillac installed over 80 years ago.

A 31 Caddy is a very rare and mostly desirable vehicle. It is very, very rare to see one Hot Rodded. Because this is your first RODEO ... I strongly suggest you sit down and sturdy the car a lot. Is it beyond you first timer talent? I have been building cars for over 40 years ... and I would have to think long and hard before I messed up such a rare and desirable vehicle.

DEUCE ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
A 31 Caddy is a very rare and mostly desirable vehicle. It is very, very rare to see one Hot Rodded. Because this is your first RODEO ... I strongly suggest you sit down and sturdy the car a lot. Is it beyond you first timer talent? I have been building cars for over 40 years ... and I would have to think long and hard before I messed up such a rare and desirable vehicle.

DEUCE ... Moderator
That is exactly how I see it. I am a car lover, a preservationist as much as a hot rodder and I think the respect of the car in either way is in my mind at all times. This Cad, be it ANY condition may be better in the hands of people who can use the parts for another car at the least, or restore to original if possible than to hot rod it.

There are SOOOOOOO many super cool hotrod worthy cars out there that can be had for a song these days I see no reason to cut up such a classic car.

Brian

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.