Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Want to know how to build your own Locomotive?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
You a lucky man Brian. Was he relatively tall and a big man, wore silver framed glasses?

BB

Nope and he didn't even where glasses as I remember! He moved in SLoooooooooooow motion as you can imagine. I wish I could give you the visual, try to imagine. He is in the back yard walking to the garage to drive his 78ish Volvo with 12K original miles on it (no kidding) and I say hi to him over the fence. He would stop, and slooooooooowly rotate his head into my direction........raise it so he is looking over the fence......and say "Hi Brian". We are talking REALLLY slow, and then get in that car and drive it! Yeow! When he needed to renew the license at I think it was 92 or 93 he made the choice to not renew it.

He told me a story about some lady movie star (wish I knew the name) who was on a train that got stuck in the snow in the Sierras somewhere. He went to get her in a motorized railcar going many miles with this dolled up movie star next to him.

I was lucky enough a few years ago to be able to ride in one of those. A guy I knew thru Scouting had a couple and and invited me to go for a ride once when he was at an event going thru Niles canyon. It was a nice day but raining, what a cool thing to do cruising thru the canyon in this tiny little box on the tracks with the little windshield wiper going.

Check this out BB, those tracks use to have to be maintained by this volunteer RR club who has a few trains they run thru the canyon one weekend a month. It was the old SP track that they stopped using when they went to multiple track and a little better path. So check this out, after 9-11 SP decided or was forced by the Government or something to restore and maintain this track incase it is needed in an emergency being this is a main thoroughfare thru the hills. If the track they use now were to be damaged they would be able to use this old track that they hadn't used in MANY decades. This was very good news to the volunteers being it was very expensive to keep it up. Not only this a main road was widened a few years later and the train trestle over this road would certainly have needed to be removed. This trestle was a very important part of the vintage train rides as it went into Niles to the depot. There is no way they could have paid to have it rebuilt, SP did the whole thing as part of this emergency back up route!

They do a Christmas train called the "Polar Express" that is very popular along with the Wine train which my wife and I did one time, what a great day that was with a grand wine sommelier on board discussing pairings and what not. I knew NOTHING about this before, after that day I still no nothing but at least I have a slight grasp on what I don't know.

Like I said, I love trains.

Brian