Want to learn custom upholstery. Could use some advice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Want to learn custom upholstery. Could use some advice.

It sounds like this is a forum with a lot of knowledge on interiors. I want to learn auto upholstery and could use some advice. I am 43 years old with a full time career so I cannot learn by going to a school or working as an intern for someone but I would like to get good enough to make some money at it when I retire.

I have '56 Belair that I am restoring (more like a resto-mod) from the frame up. It was my Dad's car and has taken years to get where I am, due to lack of time and money, of course I cannot afford to pay a custom shop to build a complete interior so I want to learn to do it myself. I was a custom car audio installer for 20 years and worked on many demo cars for the SEMA show so I have lots of experience building complex fiberglass structures and wrapping them with vinyl or ultrasuede but if there was any stitching or seams we would send it to the upholstery shop (or paint it, LOL). I am assuming that this experience will help me a little but when it comes to sewing, shaping foam, and making a cover without one to use as a pattern I don't really know where to start.

Looking for advice on resources to learn from, suggestions for a good machine, how to make the carpet for my car (this is another area that seems like its going to be tough), other necessary tools.

Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

As far as carpet goes, why make your own when you can buy a carpet set for your car relatively cheaply? Carpet is the easiest part. Start at the transmission tunnel, and if you can't get the carpet to go up and over, you do the tunnel separately and then do the rest of the flat areas. There is a ton of how to's here if you look for them. Start here: Archive of Interior Tutorials . As far as a sewing machine goes, there is also a ton of info about industrial sewing machines: Beginner Sewing Machine Recommendation

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the links to the tutorials, this is great info. I know there are some molded carpets out there but I the design of the center console I am making may require that I make my own.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.