want more HP in my '97 Buick 3.8 L V6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question want more HP in my '97 Buick 3.8 L V6

Help, please ! I have a 1997 Buick Park Avenue. I know that sleds are not very popular right now, but I love this car! I have a couple of fractured vertebrae in my back and this car just eases roads little bumps.

My car has 200 HP from the factory. I believe it is basically the same V 6 engine the 87 Grand National Buick had in it, and that car was a stormer!

I want to boost my HP to about 325. I want it to remain a no hassle car, as I drive it about 400 miles a week. I also am not a rich man, so I would like to keep it as reasonable as possible.

I will GREATLY appreciate any help, if someone with knowledge can spare the time.

I will need to take it to a garage to get it done, as I mentioned I have a bad back. I can do a little under the hood, but not much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you can help an old hot rodder out, my the sun shine on your journies and the birds pass your new wax job by.

Thank you!

lildoc

painmeds@hotmail.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 01:19 AM

you could go the same route as the grand national and put a turbo charger on it, probably would also want to consider a chip and larger injectors, i dont know if it will be worth another 125 ponies though, and im sure there are many other considerations to take into account when adding boost on a FI motor that i am not aware of.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:27 AM

The buick grand national did use the same engine with a turbo on it how ever the present day pontiac bonyville and soon to be impala ss use the same engine with a super charger. I"m not sure if any after market super charger kits are avalable for it but one could probably be pieced together from one of those cars and would be alot easier than trying to adapt a turbo from a grand national to work on it. with out resorting to forced induction I don't think getting 325 horse power would be possible especially while keeping any degree of streetability anyway.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:42 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

by just putting a stock supercharger will increase you HP quite a bit. we own a 92 park ave ultra & I can tell you that I "KNOW" it'll do every bit of 140mph & then some , yep I have had it going that fast, basicly the stock 3800 are rockets anyway but add just a superchager and the power is multiplied. the only problem you may have is, the wiring may be different from the non-superchager motor to the supercharged ones and you would have to change the computor also. the superchagers I have found have cost about $1200-1500 rebuilt. sooooo good luck w/that full size pocket rocket...........joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 09-03-2003 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:11 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

A good source on info...

If you're not already a member here, it's a good place to start. There's an entire section for you 3800 guys.

www.turbobuick.com

Less specific to later 3800's but valuable nonetheless are:

www.turbobuicks.com

www.gnttype.org

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.