Want to put a turbo on a 305 chevy - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would not use less than a 2.5" charge air pipe.
Not that crazy about the cam used. What is the head casting number? I hope its not a "185" head.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Last photo:

The heads are 185. They have 1.94 intakes and are quite heavily ported. The throats were cut and they have a 4 angle valve job done. They were machined for larger springs and positive valve seals. I have to admit that in hindsight, we should've bought a different set of heads instead of putting the $ into these ones, but, live and learn.

Any thoughts on boost level on pump gas (93)?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Read this thread. It's 164 pages of TPI induction with twin turbos on a cast piston, cast crank $300 junkyard 350 grenade (it never did blow up). What worked, what didn't, mega HP and Torque on a very small budget. An amazing journey into the turbo world. It's very long, but well worth the read. http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...part-2-to-come
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1320 For This Useful Post:
64nailhead (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1320 View Post
Read this thread. It's 164 pages of TPI induction with twin turbos on a cast piston, cast crank $300 junkyard 350 grenade (it never did blow up). What worked, what didn't, mega HP and Torque on a very small budget. An amazing journey into the turbo world. It's very long, but well worth the read. http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...part-2-to-come
See post#40...
Marty's experience is certainly not the norm, and its always the guys who don't actually care if they break parts that seem to do well when pushing the envelope. The thread does offer alot of insight into "doing lots for very little" and is a very entertaining read. Again, not even in the realm of normal but offers a lot of good info.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Not in the realm of normal... Because? Oh, he had a good tune. There's no magic or hocus pocus.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Not in the realm of normal... Because? Oh, he had a good tune. There's no magic or hocus pocus.
No no lol, more so there is a limit to what a "stock" lower end will take.....and he didn't always have a good tune, he almost hurt it several times....that's what I meant by "the norm"....hey, im on your side here lol, we have several younger guys around here running big HP on stock parts with boost..... I have ridden in an 80's G-body with a baby LS and twins that puts down 700+ to the ground and the motors a $700 junkyard piece with 80000km on it.....its disgusting really lol.....when the tune is right, its incredible what a turbo motor will take over a N/A screamer, supercharging or spray.....its by far the easiest on parts.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM

do the math on any engine combination,then look where most failures occur?and what causes the failure? Then look at diesel technology,,,,,
fill in the blanks yourself
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Big read is an understatement! It's 164 pages (not posts - PAGES!). I'm upto page 40 and it, if nothing else, is entertaining. Also, it is making me feel better about trying a 5-8 psi setup without catastrophic results.

I still haven't found much about plugs, hotter or colder, and timing, more or less with boost. I'm quite familiar with intake temps and what needs to be done with the timing as temps go up, but??

Still reading, still learning. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
do the math on any engine combination,then look where most failures occur?and what causes the failure? Then look at diesel technology,,,,,
fill in the blanks yourself
typically ring lands, and detonation causes it.

Not really related to diesel technology at all considering how a diesel operates.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 AM

AP72,you missed the point totally,and I am surprised,,,
think more along the high RPM and high heat combination.
A lower RPM turbo seems to last longer than a high RPM N.A. engine making the same power.

A diesel is low RPM,rarely has valve train problems
diesels use high boost and rarely have sealing issues
you can add to this
Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP72,you missed the point totally,and I am surprised,,,
think more along the high RPM and high heat combination.
A lower RPM turbo seems to last longer than a high RPM N.A. engine making the same power.

A diesel is low RPM,rarely has valve train problems
diesels use high boost and rarely have sealing issues
you can add to this
Valvetrain issues are completely separate from turbo issues, and are usually RPM related, as you noted.

Diesels rarely have sealing issues because the blocks, heads, and usually head bolts are designed to take much higher pressures than most gas engines, this is less related to the turbo and more related to how a diesel works and is subsequently designed.

FWIW there are some "higher" rpm diesels out there. And LOW rpm is usually the area where detonation is hardest to control for a gas engine, so you have to trade valvetrain stability for detonation resistance.

At this "back yard hotrodder" level you're way over thinking it though. Good turbo selection, intercooling, and tune are the 3 areas of highest concern. Hit those three and you should be alright with a conversion of most factory NA engines.

These power levels seem high for a stock SBC but consider that many 4 banger guys are making 300-400hp with slapping a turbo on a ~2.0L engine, that puts a 5.0L sbc in the 750+hp range. And I'm not referring to just 4 valve dohc engines, 2 valve sohc engines in that area are making that power too, on stock long blocks, usually on E85, and sometimes 93 octane.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nailhead View Post
Tech, hopefully you consider the 327 one step ahead of a 'fosdick' (where do you come up with this stuff)
Fearless Fosdick was a failure at everything, so anything that won't work properly earns the title of fosdick....
Al Capp's Fearless Fosdick: Comics & Underground Comix
Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

I got tired of reading all the posts so it may have been mentioned. Single HX-35 off a cummins for cheap quality turbo, or something in the 60mm area. Lag from a bigger turbo will take all the fun out of it without bigger heads. Comp turbo cam. Call them. Hypers are supposed to be good for turbo but I run forged in all my turbo motors. Not gapping your rings enough will break every type of piston every time. 882's can flow but are prone to breaking.

Kevin
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Hx35? Really? Kinda small... A 60mm turbo is a good place to start though. Very common size for a street v8 in this displacement range.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I think that proves it. A forged bottom end isn't necessary. I'm going to stick with the stock 305, keep the tuning right and see what kind of performance I get.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.