Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Wanted Model A experts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wanted-model-experts-216029.html)

fred56 03-04-2012 03:48 PM

Wanted Model A experts

I am about to install windlace in my 28 Model A and ran across a problem. The top and back of the door poses no problem but there is no wood to attach the windlace to on the front. Now what?

Jerry

DanTwoLakes 03-04-2012 04:28 PM

Either glue it down, or create something to staple or glue the windlace to. You can cut strips of waterproof panel board or PVC foamboard that fit the area in question, and then glue or staple the windlace to the panel board, and then either screw or pop rivet the panel board (with the windlace attached) to the area you want to attach the windlace to. Also sew a piece of headliner fabric to the windlace to cover up the area of the pillar next to the windshield. I have a model "A" coming in to my shop in about a week if you can wait that long to see some pictures. You need a 3/4" welt foot on your sewing machine to sew windlace with 1/2" sponge rod. Sewing it is 10 times faster than gluing it, and with far better quality. I'll post a picture tomorrow of some windlace all sewn up.

Gringo 03-04-2012 05:09 PM

windlace

The front windlace was originally held in place by what I call screw nails( a nail with threads). If you look you'll see the holes. Or many times the nails are still in there. The part by the windshield is covered by a metal molding and bottom is covered by the kickpanels. I usually also glue it to keep in place better.

fred56 03-05-2012 05:27 AM

Wanted Model A experts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Either glue it down, or create something to staple or glue the windlace to. You can cut strips of waterproof panel board or PVC foamboard that fit the area in question, and then glue or staple the windlace to the panel board, and then either screw or pop rivet the panel board (with the windlace attached) to the area you want to attach the windlace to. Also sew a piece of headliner fabric to the windlace to cover up the area of the pillar next to the windshield. I have a model "A" coming in to my shop in about a week if you can wait that long to see some pictures. You need a 3/4" welt foot on your sewing machine to sew windlace with 1/2" sponge rod. Sewing it is 10 times faster than gluing it, and with far better quality. I'll post a picture tomorrow of some windlace all sewn up.

Thanks for the info - Yes I can wait for the pictures of the Model A. The info you are giving me is helping out a lot. Now I don't feel like I am running around in the dark.

Thanks - Jerry

DanTwoLakes 03-05-2012 07:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the pictures of the windlace all sewed up. There are two pieces almost 16 feet long each. The windlace fabric came from LeBaron Bonney.

fred56 03-05-2012 09:36 AM

Windlace

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Here's the pictures of the windlace all sewed up. There are two pieces almost 16 feet long each. The windlace fabric came from LeBaron Bonney.

Interesting. What do you want for the two pieces>

Jerry

DanTwoLakes 03-05-2012 10:18 AM

I'll send you a private message.