Wanting to build a 406 sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
He said it's going to be a street motor, doesn't need a Dart block for what he's looking for. Yes, the 511 block will be just fine......after you have it checked at the machine shop. ARP doesn't make main caps, they make bolts only.

If you use the ARP main bolts or studs you will have to have the main bearing saddles align honed because the ARP fasteners create more clamping force to reach "bolt stretch" or the proper "torque value" for that specific bolt/stud. This basically warps or distorts the main cap which requires them to be align honed to make them round again and bring them back into tolerance. For a street motor you could re-use the stock bolts if you're going to keep the power reasonable.....me, I use the studs and align hone, then you can do anything you want.
From the OP
" I'm thinking around 500HP would be a great weekend street/strip car."

By the time you find a decent OEM block and have it machined the way you want it, you could have bought a Dart SHP block or even a GMPP block. Both of which would give you more options down the road.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Ok, no offence to the OP or anyone..........the guy is 19, he is going to build his first engine.....a 406 when he says he "has a little extra cash". Do you really think he knows what it takes to build a 500 hp engine? He doesn't have the money to build 500 horses let alone buy a Dart block. He found a complete 511 block that will most likely need machine work.....mag, bore, hone and deck, if he's lucky that's all it will need. Get the crank 10-10'd, along with all the other parts? ....$$$$$$$$$ Last time I looked a Dart bare block was $1500.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

No offence taken at all. Alright, I realize I'm 19, and never built an engine. I suppose using "a little extra cash" wasn't the best choice in words. I didn't realize everyone was going to use it quite so literal. I wasn't ever meaning I'd build a 406 on 600 bucks or anything. The reason I had started this thread was so I had the ability to ask questions, get feedback and have suggestions made. The first few had all said that it'd take more then a little bit of money to prepare the rest of the car rather then just focusing on the motor. I've come to the understanding that it's going to take some serious cash to build 500hp. Hence the reason I'm looking for another 400. I don't want to have my car parked to build an engine would I could keep it running and prepare another engine to go in to replace it. There is a guy that owns a performance shop in the city that is very reputable and willing to help and give advice when it comes to cars. I'll be making most of my big purchases off of him.
I don't want to offend anyone or have any "fights" over the internet. But I'd prefer if this thread could stay just about laying out suggestions and having questions answered rather then getting to be at all personal.
Thanks guys. Everything that's been put up here has been able to help me better understand something I'd like to do for the first time. I hope that I'll be able to do a few motors and give advice in places I have experience and success.
White85Camaro
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

if you are willing to let this be a long term project then it can happen, just don't think this will happen overnight, unless you do have loot like that. it took me about 3yrs to get my camaro set up, and for the last year i was building my motor. luckly i was in the military making pretty decent money, along with my wife who makes pretty decent money, i was able to save quite a bit of money each month to put towards this project. you have to remember that eveyone has an opinion, and not all of us will agree that opinion, so on sometimes there is bound to be some bickering.

my advice would be to find another 400 or 350 block (if you would be willing to build a 383) and start working with that. take your time with it to make sure you research everything, and the different part manufacuters. dont skimp out on quality stuff just to save 100.00, cause more often than not the end result will end up costing you more than 100.00 when you have to fix what went wrong. do it right the first time.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.