Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ratrod

• ????????

Wanting build input!

928 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  35terraplane 
#1 ·
Been working on the 54 getting ready to install new floorboard metal in the truck. But before I do this I can't decide on what way I want to take the truck. Part of me wants to build a gasser style, but I like the low look also. I intend on keeping the 292 six for now, just want to update the tranny to a 5 speed. So starting a poll as to which way you would go in my shoes. Money is tight as with most of us. Please give me in put on which you think would be easier, cheaper, and different to build.
In going low should I keep the stock frame, I have a back half S-10 frame that is set up for bags I can use. With no floor right now should I channel the cab or does that open a can of worms?
Gasser style have no idea as to how to go other then start with re-arching the front springs for lift.
Keep in mind I am NO pro at doing this and can get myself in deep water quick. Right now the truck is in pieces and should be the time to start.
Thanks hope for lots of input.

#2 ·
Input

PureC4 said:
Been working on the 54 getting ready to install new floorboard metal in the truck. But before I do this I can't decide on what way I want to take the truck. Part of me wants to build a gasser style, but I like the low look also. I intend on keeping the 292 six for now, just want to update the tranny to a 5 speed. So starting a poll as to which way you would go in my shoes. Money is tight as with most of us. Please give me in put on which you think would be easier, cheaper, and different to build.
In going low should I keep the stock frame, I have a back half S-10 frame that is set up for bags I can use. With no floor right now should I channel the cab or does that open a can of worms?
Gasser style have no idea as to how to go other then start with re-arching the front springs for lift.
Keep in mind I am NO pro at doing this and can get myself in deep water quick. Right now the truck is in pieces and should be the time to start.
Thanks hope for lots of input.
JMO and I think you will get a lot. If GM wanted a 54 on a s-10 frame, they would have done it. The frame you have is fine. How you want the truck is how you want it. Not how one of us wants it, whenever anyone tells you how you should build it, that is what they would like to see, not you. None of us knows your likes or dislikes, so it is hard for us to tell you how to build your truck.

Start doing it the way you want, if you need help somewhere ask, then we know where you are going, and can get you to the next step.

Again JMO.

Bob

#3 ·
Thanks Bob, just looking for input ideas, the gasser thing strikes me but not sure where to start, I've lowered several cars and trucks but nothing this old. This is new territory for me, never built a 4-link or ladder bar suspension so these things I'd like input on also., Thanks again :thumbup:

#4 ·
Input

PureC4 said:
Thanks Bob, just looking for input ideas, the gasser thing strikes me but not sure where to start, I've lowered several cars and trucks but nothing this old. This is new territory for me, never built a 4-link or ladder bar suspension so these things I'd like input on also., Thanks again :thumbup:
If that's the way you want to go, then start getting information on building a gasser. find out what you have that will work, and what you will need. There are sites you can go to, to find this out, and you always have the guys here.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.