WARNING Mr Gasket Fuel Filter Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

WARNING Mr Gasket Fuel Filter Problems

Long story, but I will try to keep it brief.

Mr Gasket Chrome fuel filters for 3/8" hose are having problems. They are leaking at the center junction, and the filter element is coming loose.

Use at your own risk.

In August I replaced my engine and at the same time replaced my fuel lines and fuel filter. I installed a chrome Mr Gasket in line filter and went on my way.

About 2 weeks later I had a puddle of gas forming on the intake manifold. My first thought was that the gas was boiling out of the carb and I decided to get a spacer. I checked the float level and it seemed a little high. I adjusted it and installed my carb spacer.

A month later I find once again gas puddling on the intake manifold. Talked with my carb man and he said that there must be some dirt in the needle and seat. Took the carb apart and sure enough there was some fine grit in the bowl. Cleaned everything out and went on my way.

Last week I finally decided that I should replace the fuel filter. I have cleaned out my needle and seat several times and cleaned out the carb bowl several times. I should have done this earlier, but I have a very thick head and could not believe I could have had a bad fuel filter.

I went to my local (Bellingham WA) NAPA store and got a Mr Gasket Chrome fuel filter for 3/8" hose. I installed the new filter and fired up the engine. Fuel was leaking out from the center seam. I took it back and got a replacement filter. SAME THING. I noticed that when I took the filter off, the element was rattling around inside the filter.

I finally settled on a NAPA steel filter. It doesn't look as nice, but it keeps the crap out of the carb and doesn't leak.

I sent a nasty email to Mr Gasket and informed my local NAPA store of the problem. The manager of the NAPA store is going to pursue the issue from his end. I have not yet heard back from Mr Gasket.

I asked Mr Gasket to pull all of these particular filters until they have the problem fixed. I don't know if they will listen to me, but what the heck...

Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 07:25 PM

I have learned to be vary wary of some of the Mr. Gasket stuff (and others for that matter). I had an fuel pump pushing 7 Psi and needed a regulator to regulate it to about 5-5.5. I got a cheap Mr. Gasket regulator that went to 5.5 psi. I put it on and fired the engine. It ran flawlessely until I shut it off. The next time I go to start it, it wont stay running. So I pull the fuel line off the carb and fuel just tricked through it. I took it back and got another. Same exact thing. Took it back, same thing again. All three would work one time and then wouldnt let any fuel past the regulator.

Of course what do I expect for a regulator that cost $30, but still it should last a little longer. The guy at the parts store said almost everyone of these he's sold has come back for the same reason.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by firechicken383
I have learned to be vary wary of some of the Mr. Gasket stuff (and others for that matter). I had an fuel pump pushing 7 Psi and needed a regulator to regulate it to about 5-5.5. I got a cheap Mr. Gasket regulator that went to 5.5 psi. I put it on and fired the engine. It ran flawlessely until I shut it off. The next time I go to start it, it wont stay running. So I pull the fuel line off the carb and fuel just tricked through it. I took it back and got another. Same exact thing. Took it back, same thing again. All three would work one time and then wouldnt let any fuel past the regulator.

Of course what do I expect for a regulator that cost $30, but still it should last a little longer. The guy at the parts store said almost everyone of these he's sold has come back for the same reason.
Try the holley low fuel pressure regulator. Picked it up for $28 and havent had a problem like that. Only thing that was wrong is the metal is kind of crappy and did'nt fit to snug with the fitting so I had to use some sealant.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Try the holley low fuel pressure regulator. Picked it up for $28 and havent had a problem like that.
I had one of these too. I dont care much for it either, but its better.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:06 PM

Does anyone else make a chrome fuel filter?

The only ones I can find locally are the Mr Gasket ones, and I am not going down that road again.

Tom
Old 03-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Summit carries a polished fuel filter, costs $16 SUM-G1512
Old 03-24-2004, 08:22 PM

ANSWER

Try edelbrocks polished aluminum in line fuel filter. Its polished aluminum and has a 10 micron replaceable element and also an anti drainback valve system. You can check it out at jegs or Summit. I think it looks smooth, clean and great with an aluminum manifold. pn- EDL-8873
Old 03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I got a Mr Gasket engine breather for my truck and had to cut down the grommet just to fit it in the valve cover.

And I got a Mr Gasket timing re-curve kit for it too, the weights looked so crappy so I drilled out the old ones and used the new bushings, so the kit was pretty worthless.

Mr Wastebasket is what I call it.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 AM

Hello 68FirebirdGuy,

The Edlebrock filter is just what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Do I dare ask? Any known problems with these?

Tom
Old 03-29-2004, 12:00 PM

I used one of their filters and my car caught fire in my driveway 10 mins after I got home. It was spraying fuel on the heater box and I guess the heat from the motor and exhaust ignited the fumes. Luckily the whole car didn't go up in flames.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:18 PM

I use the edlebrock one

Been using for 2 yrs and not 1 prob from here and its on a 454 edelbrock 750cfm
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Good for you, but did you notice this thread is 4 years old?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.