Hot Rod Forum banner

Warped brake pads

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
I took off old rotors on moms Subaru and replaced them with new rotors. They were warped, at least one of them was as when I stepped on brakes steering wheel would shake. It still vibrates with new rotors but not as bad.
Could pads be warped as well, do I have to replace them? They didn't look bad so I cleaned them up and put them back on.

#3 ·
Did you torque the wheels. If not you may have ruined the new rotors. Also the hub mating surface needs to be clean and free of rust or you can warp the new rotors. Generally you change the pads with the rotors but the pads will not cause a vibration as they dont move. The vibration has to come from rotating parts.
What kind of rotors did you buy. If they were white box Autozone type rotors it is possible they are junk right out of the box.

#5 ·
Probably warped. You dont know how the shipper handled them. All it takes is for them to be dropped once or stored on edge for a while to warp them. If you can get ahold of a dial indicator with a magnetic flexible arm you can check them for run out on the car. Anything more than .006 and you will feel it. Sometimes you can eliminate the variance by re-indexing them then re-tourqueing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.