Warping Drums - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Warping Drums

Ive got a 1970 Buick Skylark, all original, with four-wheel drums. It just hit 70k miles, and i had to replace the shoes. The problem is, the front right drum keeps getting extremely hot and warps, causing surging, very loud noise, and makes the steering wheel shudder. Ive had to replace it twice already, and now finally the guy at the brakes shop tells me that its probably because the only pads available are metallic ones, and that they produce a hell of a lot of heat, because its such a heavy car (3,800 lbs). He told me i should get some asbestos ones, but i guess they are illegal. Where can i buy asbestos shoes and import them? Or is there any other way to fix this problem besides switching to disc? (i really dont want to spend the money on a whole new assembly) Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

try replacing your brake hoses. They probably are not letting the fluid return and causing the brakes to stay patrtially applied. If the shoes were causing the issue it would not only be happening on one side
Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

do not go to that mechanic again, he dosn't know what he's talking about. Abspestos brake pads/ shoes are no longer produced for anything in the US, and you can get shoes with organic material ( non metallic ) however, they wear faster, but your shoes are likely semi metallic which is a very good compound, a full metallic pad would never wear out but kill shoes/ rotors, and generate a lot of heat. drum brakes generate a lot of heat anyway, when there hot ( after braking, down a steep hill ) you will notice some of your braking power faded away ( brake fade ), this is at the point in which your drums 'could' warp because the brakes are as hot as you will get them.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would also look at your spindle, if it has a discoloration it might not be true. A bad bearing might have overheated it in the past and caused some damage to the spindle. If the bearing doesn't ride correctly it could cause the drum to drag on the brake shoe.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I think T-Bucket is on the right path, replace the hoses and check the wheel cylinders.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Find a shop that will turn your drums, and then arc-grind your new shoes to match. This matches the curvature of the shoes to the curvature of the drum, allowing full contact from the word go. It relieves you of having to baby the brakes until they wear into full contact. If you use the brakes too hard during the time when there's not full contact yet, the part that does contact will get extremely hot, and that's where the warping comes from.

I had semi-metallic shoes (lining looked like ground-up pencil leads) on my '69 Nova before I converted to discs, and they did make something of a grinding noise, but they didn't pulsate and they didn't fade nearly as badly as standard ones. The grinding noise went away partially once I really heated them up a few times.

Might look into some hi-performance drum brakes such as the setup sold by Praise Dyno.

http://www.praisedynobrake.com/
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM

thanks for all the info, i had the mechanic put on a new drum for now, and it seems to be working ok. I asked the guy at the brake shop about arcing the shoes when i first went to him, but he said that shops nowadays dont do that anymore. Ill try just feathering the brakes for a little while until i break them in. (no pun intended) thanks everyone!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

See if you can find an old independent mechanic shop that still has the tools. They still have those, don't they?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You have to find the answer to the question: "Why did only the right front drum get hot and warp and the others are fine?". I suspect the shoes were not returning correctly resulting in a dragging brake. The mechanic reinstalled correctly and you are good to go. I tend to purchase replacement springs and keepers when I do a drum brake job and I have the book in front of me no matter how many times I have done this same vehicle because I don't like to do the job over and I want it right when I call for a big WOAH!!!

Trees

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.