Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Warranties? Gas Tank Issue
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Warranties? Gas Tank Issue

I'm posting asking for opinions, a dangerous thing I know. So here it is, I can't build a Rod in 30 minutes like TV. My 39 Plymouth is at 4 years, on the road, but interior not done yet. I bought a brand new gas tank for her instead of building a new one, luckily there was a exact fit available, who would of thunk it. I've got maybe 200 miles on her and since she's been on the road, every night in the garage I had a gas smell. Dam if I could figure out where, finally last weekend it showed it's ugly head, a pinhole leak on the seam of the seamless tank. It's poly and looks like the injection mold had a air bubble, so I had a wet spot. Well, I was relieved I tracked it down, but theres no fixing it. I called the manufacturer, they offered me 30% off a new tank.
Here's where the opinion comes in, my personal thoughts are, I think they should have replaced it. I offered pictures, a receipt, even send it back for them to inspect and see it was brand new. Nope, not warrantied, but they said they would throw in shipping. I wanted to ponder this a day. The fact they didn't really care what the problem was is disturbing. Here's the other issue, they are the only game in town with one and a new custom metal tank will cost 4 bills. I could use a fuel cell, but dam, the car is painted, why reinvent the wheel. It's not like I'm trying to return a part with rubber that dried out or a brittle gasket set. Am I crazy?