Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Warranties? Gas Tank Issue
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
If you can drain and clean it you could bring it to a plastic bumper rebuilder like we use and they could "weld" it very easily.

As far as the company you bought it from I would think about making up a sign explaining this problem to put in your window at rod runs and shows. A very nice not kicking their butt, just explaining as you did here. I would then email them a picture of the sign in your window and explain how you will be going to X amounts of events a year in this car and want to know if they would re-think replacing this gas tank. Now mind you, this has to be done very tactful and without any "opinions" expressed, only facts. When you bought it, for how much, the name of the company and the results, with a question "is this fair?" kinda thing, not "They suck don't buy from them". Throw in a few "this is a serious safety issue, we are talking about leaking FUEL". You have expressed it very well here, you aren't beating up on them screaming, you are explaining it very well and I can't imagine any kind of legal issue. Unfortunately we have to think about that these days. But that being said, I think they would be damn stupid not to replace that tank.

Brian
thats blackmail, for one..
more than likely, no warranty or not, if the buyer brought the issue up in a timely manner, they most likely would've replaced it...
they, the vender don't know how it was stored,handled,etc from sale date till install date, sometimes years down the line.. most times, parts have a warranty of workmanship ONLY.. and that has a time limit..
I have parts I bought in 2002 , and if I have an issue now, I'm not going to expect them to warranty it.. when I use it in 2013..
hello hooker,ya I bought these headers for my big block chevy in 2002, and I'm installing them now (2012) and they don't fit.. they may help, they most likely won't.. and I don't expect them to..
now if I just bought them, they'd help.. and I'd expect that..
the "brand name part" in this case a fuel tank. most likely is just a reboxed part someone else made..
I have steel 427 cranks and g.m. alum blocks.. that when bought where magged and or checked over then.. cause I'd expect nothing less than a good laugh from the parts guy, if I brought they back defective now.. 22 years laster..