Warranty on paint from major manufacturers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Warranty on paint from major manufacturers

I went to my local paint store to inquire about a product that have been getting great reviews on various 'Do it Yourself' car websites. Related to Primers and Clearcoats. The shop had never heard about the product and mentioned that it was better to go with a 'Big' name brand because of the warranty it carries.
Didnt bother to ask much about it but.......... as I walked out and drove away I started thinking....

Im shooting my car in my garage will a company like PPG or Dupont really warranty any paint shot from an amateur or at home? How can this be? In the past I have had a very very difficult time getting companies to warrant their warranty when items are installed by non-profesionals....
Does this make sense to anyone?
I can just imagine me calling one of these companies ask stating that Im not happy with the outcome of the paint.??????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Yeah, you won't get far even with the local paint supplier on a waranty unless they know you. And there is good reason. What is this product that is getting great reviews?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

didnt want to mention any brands ... Just a general question.... Awwwh what the heck. SPI Primers and Clears
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Official Solventologist

Yeah, most of the warranties those big name brands are writing have lots of fine print. All I have worked with required you to go to a school to get certified in their techniques AND they had to have a rep come by and approve your shop. We had to do it because we were doing OEM warranty repair work but it was a waste of time. It doesn't take a big expensive name brand to make a good product. Folks like SPI, Prospray,and KemFx for the specialty colors are all making good stuff at a low lower cost than the "big name brands".
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 AM

i can tell you right now, you are going to get a better warranty scenerio from spi, rather than those big companies.

they use that warranty claim to trick you into using the product, then when something happens, its your fault and they cant help you. trust me. some guy off the street doing this himself IS NOT going to get any sort of warranty from any of the big companies. so you're right...you are going to get nothing from them.

call barry right now, and you'll get more support in the next 10 minutes than you ever will with a sales rep or tech from the big companies. its just a plain fact....besides the whole warranty thing...even for the big shops is a joke. One of the biggest shops here spends about 400-500k a year in supplies....last year they recieved $2,000 in warranty claims. So if the big shop grossing 5 million a year and spending 500k in paint material is only getting 2,000 back...what's the guy spending 2,000 a year going to get? They aren't under any sort of contract. More times than not, your paint store, if you know them well, is going to help you out more than a big wig sitting in the office.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks guys this helps me out very much. Im putting my order in today and the retailer is going to actually drive out to my place to deliver. I will post once the car is finish.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Most warranties that I have seen honored were a matter of someone screwing up, mostly at the dealer level. Wrong additives when mixed, ratios, etc. The results of the screw ups were immediately seen. Then you see the user screw ups. Didn't read the instructions, used something non compatible, etc. I crack up when I read or someone asks, "how should I mix this?" Read the directions, these guys spend millions of dollars developing these products. There is always someone looking for the secret edge, add a teaspoon of lacquer thinner and it will shine like a harvest moon!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

The one time I had to use a warranty was with PPG. I shot part of a truck black, with urethane clear. The hardener was bad and it never dried. They set me the paint to refinish it.... but no painter to remove the old gooey crap, and install the new paint!!! After that I stopped caring about warranties.

Today I use products that perform for me, and intermix them if it helps my cause... instead of listening to some salesman's bull**** about voiding the warranty, and that I have to buy all of their overpriced products. (I won't mention names.) }:-(

The labor is by far the biggest part of a problem, and you are on the hook for it! End of story,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Ive never seen a paint co stand behind any kind of warranty in the 40 yrs i've been doing this. The best you get is the jobber giving you some free-bees to not lose a customer.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
boatbob2

Paint Warranty.....

You guys are all wrong,the paint companies will warrant the paint....until you walk out of the store.i bought a gallon of - - -,(black) opened the can,the paint was brown,they told me,i had changed the label on the can,,no sweat,i ate it,but about a year later,i poured that gallon (without hardner)all over their windows and doors,,,,i THINK theyre still cleaning.....my warranty was better.........
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Hahaha.. Yeah I figured it would be difficult to see how a company can warranty something like auto paint with so many factors involved in it. By the way just opened a can of Epoxy Primer I purchased about a week ago. Is this OK if Im able to mix and get rid of any lumps etc.. is this primer still good? seems like it must of been sitting for quite a while before it did this. Bought it at a ****ty local store and I highly doubt they are even going to exchange it for me.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_6066.jpg
Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

BarryK who owns SPI is a member here and pops in from time to time. Why don't you send him a PM and see what he says about warranties? By the way his stuff is top quality.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"My next door neighbor just had a pacemaker installed. They're still working the bugs out, though. Every time he makes love, my garage door opens." - Bob Hope
Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Had a problem with SPI a few years ago, called Barry
30 minute conversation.
2 days later rec'd a sizable check from him and a complete new batch of materials.
I'll be a customer for life.
Was A PPG certified shop for over 30 years and had to fight with them everytime I had a warranty issue.
Stick with Barry.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.